Views
Helpful
Replies

RoomOS vs Collaboration Endpoint (CE) software

CatsAndIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Try as I might, I can't seem to find an explanation of the differences between RoomOS and CE software.

Currently running an air-gapped on-premises network with multiple CODECs, and are looking to upgrade those devices. But I'm seeing that the CE software line is ending with CE9.15.X.x, so that isn't going to be ideal.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually got a different answer from a Cisco rep:

• CE software is getting rebranded to RoomOS (similar to how Spark was rebranded to Webex).
  • RoomOS will continue to move forward in version/revision
  • CE software will only go to CE9.15.X.x
  • DX/SX/MX hardware is going EoS, and as such will only go to CE9.15.X.x
  • Webex hardware will only support RoomOS moving forward
  • RoomOS comes in 2 flavors: Cloud-supported and On-premise
    • Indicated by the versioning, x.x.1.x (Cloud-supported) or x.x.#>1.x (On-premise)

Thanks to both you and @Vaijanath Sonvane for taking the time to answer though!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Cisco RoomOS software is applicable for Webex registered endpoints and the endpoints are managed via Cisco Webex Control Hub. RoomOS Software is only for Webex Deployment. You can not register RoomOS endpoints with on-premise call control application such as CUCM or VCS/Expressway. In order to register endpoints with on-premise call control application, you need Collaboration Endpoint (CE) software.

A stable version of RoomOS software is released every month with new features and functionalities. This is not the case with CE Software. You can check below URL for What's New on RoomOS:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/6ger7db/What-s-New-in-RoomOS 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

This is actually not totally correct. With Edge for devices you can get on-prem registered devices to use RoomOS if you set them to do software update from the cloud. You can see it as the video devices are in a partially cloudy state, or hybrid if that terminology rings better.

We have about 150 endpoints setup for cloud update of the software, out of the near 1000 endpoints we have that all are setup for Edge for devices. This is to evaluate the cloud update functionality and stability of the same.

Response Signature

Actually got a different answer from a Cisco rep:

• CE software is getting rebranded to RoomOS (similar to how Spark was rebranded to Webex).
  • RoomOS will continue to move forward in version/revision
  • CE software will only go to CE9.15.X.x
  • DX/SX/MX hardware is going EoS, and as such will only go to CE9.15.X.x
  • Webex hardware will only support RoomOS moving forward
  • RoomOS comes in 2 flavors: Cloud-supported and On-premise
    • Indicated by the versioning, x.x.1.x (Cloud-supported) or x.x.#>1.x (On-premise)

Thanks to both you and @Vaijanath Sonvane for taking the time to answer though!

This is interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Roger Kallberg, Thank you for correction. 

Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Essentially it's a name change - what was "Collaboration Endpoint" (CE9.x) is now "RoomOS" (CE10.x).  The new version is only supported on the newer models of endpoints - the old version will still need to be used on the older (SX/MX/DX) endpoints.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

emajcic
Level 1
Level 1

In have about a dozen MX300 G2's webex cloud registered on RoomOS 9.15.8.10 at the moment although my Room Devices are on RoomOS 10....
I'm wondering if MX series will only go to RoomOS version 9 and no further?
Is there a RoomOS version compatibility release web page somewhere so I see which devices and which RoomOS versions are compatible?