Views
Helpful
Replies

Security and Functionality Questions

Saurabh Gupta
Level 3
Level 3
Hi Team,

Hope you are good.! I have few security and functionality questions on Telepresence
Infrastructure Products divided into MCU, TMS and VCS. Please take your appropriate time
and provide a detailed reply to me with the answers to the below mentioned questions ( Pls
do not provide links to documentation or admin guides ).

MCU/ISDN Gateway

1.)     What security is built into ISDN gateway (8321 or 3241) to stop unauthorized users or
intruders to access my company’s ISDN gateway? Or how can I stop unauthorized users to
access and use my ISDN gateway to make and route calls? Provided I have a VCS control in
my setup and provided I don’t have VCS control?
2.)     Is there any hardware used to avoid above scenario or there is some software
configuration done to avoid above scenario?
3.)     Please tell me if I can create the redundancy of Media Blade on MSE8000? If I use
another media blade on the same chassis, then what will happen to the
configuration/conference/settings which is on existing blade and If it goes down? Does it
automatically gets transferred to another media blade or how does it works?
4.)     What if I don’t have another media blade and my existing media blade goes down and I
have a service level of NBD? I get the new media blade, next day, how much time does it
takes to configure new media blade using the same Config which was on old blade?
5.)     If I have a no. of MCU’s all over the world, do we have a central server like
Telepresence conductor which monitors all the MCU resources throughout the world? And in
case one MCU is down, and an important conf is set to begin, it will route the conf
through some other MCU? Do we have any solution from Cisco? If yes, how does it work?

Telepresence Management Suite 

6.)     If I have a TMS in my environment, and I want to use TMS scheduler for each individual
user level ? will it work?
7.)     What does Cisco Recommends ? TMSXE on TMS server or TMSXE on separate Server or TMXSE
on exchange server? And technical reason behind the recommendation.
8.)     If I have TMSXE integrated with Exchange? How much time does it takes for
migration/updation from one server to another Server?

VCS 

9.)     What are the criteria of QoS configuration on VCS ? and how it can be done?

Please take your time and provide a detailed reply.

I would highly appreciate the same.

Thanks,

Saurabh Gupta

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> MCU/ISDN Gateway

> 1.) What security is built into ISDN gateway (8321 or 3241) to stop unauthorized

> users or intruders to access my company’s ISDN gateway?

> Or how can I stop unauthorized users to access and use my ISDN gateway to make

> and route calls?

> Provided I have a VCS control in my setup and provided I don’t have VCS control?

For deployment with VCS, please refer “Restrict access to ISDN gateways” section in administrator guide.

For latest X7.1 administrator guide, this is on page 42, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Cisco_VCS_Control_with_Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pd.

> 2.) Is there any hardware used to avoid above scenario or there is some software

> configuration done to avoid above scenario?

Best approach is to use authentication base call search.

> 3.) Please tell me if I can create the redundancy of Media Blade on MSE8000?

> If I use another media blade on the same chassis, then what will happen to the

> configuration/conference/settings which is on existing blade and If it goes down?

> Does it automatically gets transferred to another media blade or how does it works?

Currently 8510/8420 MCU blade on MSE8000 does not support live fail over (meaning on-going call won’t fail over to other MCU blade without reconnecting the call).

> 4.) What if I don’t have another media blade and my existing media blade goes

> down and I have a service level of NBD? I get the new media blade, next day,

> how much time does it takes to configure new media blade using the same

> Config which was on old blade?

This depend on whether you have configuration backup from original MCU blade.

=====================================================================

Backing up and restoring the configuration using FTP

You can back up and restore the configuration of the MCU through its web interface. To do so, go to Settings > Upgrade. For more information, refer to Upgrading and backing up the MCU.

You can also save the configuration of the MCU using FTP.

To back up the configuration via FTP:

1. Ensure that FTP is enabled on the Network  > Services page.

2. Connect to the MCU using an FTP client. When asked for a user name and password, enter the same ones that you use to log in to the MCU's web interface as an administrator.

You will see a file called configuration.xml. This contains the complete configuration of your MCU.

3. Copy this file and store it somewhere safe.

The backup process is now complete.

To restore the configuration using FTP:

1. Locate the copy of the configuration.xml file that you want to restore.

2. Ensure that FTP is enabled on the Network  > Services page.

3. Connect to the MCU using an FTP client. When asked for a user name and password, use the same ones that use to log in to the MCU's web interface as an administrator.

4. Upload your configuration.xml file to the MCU, overwriting the existing file on the MCUs.

The restore process is now complete.

> 5.) If I have a no. of MCU’s all over the world, do we have a central server like

> Telepresence conductor which monitors all the MCU resources throughout the world?

> And in case one MCU is down, and an important conf is set to begin, it will route the conf

> through some other MCU? Do we have any solution from Cisco? If yes, how does it work?

TelePresence Conductor will be monitoring MCU status including resource availability.

TelePresence Conductor automatically allocate available MCU for new incoming call so if any of MCU goes down even just before receive new call, TelePresence Conductor will automatically find other available MCU resource in MCU pool.

You may able to configure multiple MCU pools (i.e. MCU pool per theater) so able to priorities MCU resource within same theater/region if necessary.

Latest release of TelePresence Conductor (XC1.2) support geographically cascade to optimize the bandwidth.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> VCS 

> 9.) What are the criteria of QoS configuration on VCS ? and how it can be done?

The VCS supports the DiffServ (Differentiated Services) mechanism which puts the specified Tag value in the TOS (Type Of Service) field of the IPv4 header or TC (Traffic Class) field of the IPv6 header.

This parameter can be configure from Web GUI under System > Quality of Service.

The value to be stamped onto all signaling and media traffic routed through the VCS (replace any ToS/TC tagging in original payload from Endpoint/MCU with configured parameter).

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> MCU/ISDN Gateway

> 1.) What security is built into ISDN gateway (8321 or 3241) to stop unauthorized

> users or intruders to access my company’s ISDN gateway?

> Or how can I stop unauthorized users to access and use my ISDN gateway to make

> and route calls?

> Provided I have a VCS control in my setup and provided I don’t have VCS control?

For deployment with VCS, please refer “Restrict access to ISDN gateways” section in administrator guide.

For latest X7.1 administrator guide, this is on page 42, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Cisco_VCS_Control_with_Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pd.

> 2.) Is there any hardware used to avoid above scenario or there is some software

> configuration done to avoid above scenario?

Best approach is to use authentication base call search.

> 3.) Please tell me if I can create the redundancy of Media Blade on MSE8000?

> If I use another media blade on the same chassis, then what will happen to the

> configuration/conference/settings which is on existing blade and If it goes down?

> Does it automatically gets transferred to another media blade or how does it works?

Currently 8510/8420 MCU blade on MSE8000 does not support live fail over (meaning on-going call won’t fail over to other MCU blade without reconnecting the call).

> 4.) What if I don’t have another media blade and my existing media blade goes

> down and I have a service level of NBD? I get the new media blade, next day,

> how much time does it takes to configure new media blade using the same

> Config which was on old blade?

This depend on whether you have configuration backup from original MCU blade.

Backing up and restoring the configuration using FTP

You can back up and restore the configuration of the MCU through its web interface. To do so, go to Settings > Upgrade. For more information, refer to Upgrading and backing up the MCU.

You can also save the configuration of the MCU using FTP.

To back up the configuration via FTP:

1. Ensure that FTP is enabled on the Network  > Services page.

2. Connect to the MCU using an FTP client. When asked for a user name and password, enter the same ones that you use to log in to the MCU's web interface as an administrator.

You will see a file called configuration.xml. This contains the complete configuration of your MCU.

3. Copy this file and store it somewhere safe.

The backup process is now complete.

To restore the configuration using FTP:

1. Locate the copy of the configuration.xml file that you want to restore.

2. Ensure that FTP is enabled on the Network  > Services page.

3. Connect to the MCU using an FTP client. When asked for a user name and password, use the same ones that use to log in to the MCU's web interface as an administrator.

4. Upload your configuration.xml file to the MCU, overwriting the existing file on the MCUs.

The restore process is now complete.

> 5.) If I have a no. of MCU’s all over the world, do we have a central server like

> Telepresence conductor which monitors all the MCU resources throughout the world?

> And in case one MCU is down, and an important conf is set to begin, it will route the conf

> through some other MCU? Do we have any solution from Cisco? If yes, how does it work?

TelePresence Conductor will be monitoring MCU status including resource availability.

TelePresence Conductor automatically allocate available MCU for new incoming call so if any of MCU goes down even just before receive new call, TelePresence Conductor will automatically find other available MCU resource in MCU pool.

You may able to configure multiple MCU pools (i.e. MCU pool per theater) so able to priorities MCU resource within same theater/region if necessary.

Latest release of TelePresence Conductor (XC1.2) support geographically cascade to optimize the bandwidth.