Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp device monitoring through cisco TMS

Fabrizio Nurra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've some devices (2 CTS 3010, 1 CUCM, 2 VCS-C and 3 TPS) managed by a Cisco TMS. I want to monitorate all devices from a network/system management tool like HP OpenView.

Is there a way to let TMS work as an snmp server / trap receiver, and to forward received traps to the Network management tool? In other words, is there a way to  set up trap forwarding in TMS?

On TMS, I've configured the HP OpenView IP Address under Network configurations, but it seems not working.

On CUCM, I've configured TMS Ip address as trap receiceiver.

Thansk in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

TMS only uses SNMP traps for older systems (MXP, TANDBERG Classic). SNMP traps from newer systems (C series, CTS, MX, E20, SX20 etc.), and for network infrastructure products (VCS, MCU, CUCM, gateways) are ignored by TMS. (this isn't mentioned that well in the documentation, but I'll look into clarifying it). So no, you cannot set up trap forwarding in TMS.

But why do you need TMS to forward traps to an external system; couldn't you make your endpoints send traps directly to the external network management tool?

Regards,

Kjetil

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

TMS only uses SNMP traps for older systems (MXP, TANDBERG Classic). SNMP traps from newer systems (C series, CTS, MX, E20, SX20 etc.), and for network infrastructure products (VCS, MCU, CUCM, gateways) are ignored by TMS. (this isn't mentioned that well in the documentation, but I'll look into clarifying it). So no, you cannot set up trap forwarding in TMS.

But why do you need TMS to forward traps to an external system; couldn't you make your endpoints send traps directly to the external network management tool?

Regards,

Kjetil

Hi Kjetil,

thank you for the answer.

Yes, I could (and obviously I'll do), but network/telepresence service owner would like to manage (and monitor) all systems via snmp from just one point (configuration seems more easy in this way).

So every device (CTS, CUCM, TCS, CTI-8050, CTI-8510...) must point to Hp OpenView IP Address, right?

Thanks

Yes, you'll have to point the CTS, CUCM, ..., to the Hp OpenView IP Address. But TMS can unfortunately not push the address to these devices, so you'll have to log in to each system and set the address manually.

thank you Kjetil, you have been really helpful.

This your "revelation" has generated some new questions about Telepresence devices snmp management, but I will open a specific thread for these.

Thanks

so if TMS ignores the SNMP coming from the C-Series, what does it use now?

TMS only uses HTTP when talking to C series codecs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: