Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP on TC software - should i use it

Michel Tosu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just want to get som input on the question of using SNMP with TC systems. As far as i know, TMS management of TC systems is done over HTTP/HTTPS, however the units support SNMP and it's activated by default. My question is of SNMP is used anyway in some way by the TMS to monitor the systems. I found the following in the TMS admin guide:

Scan SNMP Capable Systems to Allow  Quick Discovery of Inaccessibility
This setting will allow Cisco TMS to more quickly detect whether a system has gone offline. Enabling this is recommended.

Does this mean that the TMS will notice more quickly that a SX20 with SNMP is down than if will if the SX20 has SNMP disabled? Is there any other impact on the TMS managebility if i turn SNMP off?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is it really - functionality is the same, phonebooks, config changes, scheduling, etc, but TMS will recognize a down/offline system more quickly, so if you are using TMS to give your staff a heads up about a problem using SNMP will give you faster notification. Other than that the functionality is the same. 

View solution in original post

That is correct, TMS uses, if enabled, SNMP for system discovery only, nothing else, you can set SNMP mode to "ReadOnly" on the systems as a precautionary measure.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable,

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is it really - functionality is the same, phonebooks, config changes, scheduling, etc, but TMS will recognize a down/offline system more quickly, so if you are using TMS to give your staff a heads up about a problem using SNMP will give you faster notification. Other than that the functionality is the same. 

Okay, just to clarify, so you mean that the SNMP is just monitoring the systems availability but config changes and everything else you listed is done over HTTP/HTTPS?

That is correct, TMS uses, if enabled, SNMP for system discovery only, nothing else, you can set SNMP mode to "ReadOnly" on the systems as a precautionary measure.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable,

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Okay great, that fits together with what i have thought except that the TMS actually uses SNMP for modern systems too. But i will sure set it to read only on the units, I had that in mind but i didn't want to do anything untill i knew for sure.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: