Views
Helpful
Replies

Spark Room Kit and Apple TV

amit1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Has anyone has tried integrating Apple TV with Spark Room Kit and if it works.  I wish to do a wireless presentation/content sharing with my mac book and using Apple TV.  I tried connecting it to the HDMI port on the Spark Room Kit, however it does not show up at all on the Display while a direct HDMI cable works well.  Any advice. Thank You

10 Replies 10

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Cisco Spark Room Kit do not have support for HDCP. This is why its not working. We currently have one device that supports HDCP and that is Cisco Spark Room 55. 

/Magnus

Hi Magnus -- I had a similar issue and I saw your reply to this question.

When I connect my AppleTV to The WebEx Board 55, I see HDCP issues when I try to play streaming content from NetFlix.  According to your message, I just want to clarify that the SparkRoom 55 (not the Board) is the only device we have that will support HDCP.  Please clarify. 

And if it is the case, then are we looking into supporting HDCP on all of our devices?

thanks

Gaurav

The only endpoints that currently support local display of HDCP content are the Codec Plus, Codec Pro, Room 55 Dual, Room 70, Room 70 G2.

None of the endpoints will allow you to share HDCP content as a presentation source over a video conference (this is by design and compliant with the HDCP protocols).

The ability to display HDCP content is based on the hardware capabilities of the endpoint and cannot be enabled on older model endpoints, so will only be available on the newer ones.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Where can I find this in the product documentation?  I've looked at the Cisco Webex Room 55 Dual data sheet but do not see any reference to HDCP.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/webex-room-series/datasheet-c78-741051.html

@tszalla wrote:

Where can I find this in the product documentation?

The CE9 software release notes https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/ce9/release-notes/ce-software-release-notes-ce9.pdf has a "Support for HDCP" section which shows which inputs and outputs support HDCP on the different Room Kit devices.

It is also discussed in the Room 55 Admin Guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ce98/room-55-administrator-guide-ce98.pdf

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco endpoints, with the exception of the Spark Room 55, will show a black screen when you try to view HDCP protected content (ie: Apple TV, Mac Book Pro, etc). Note, you cannot transmit HDCP protected content via video conference regardless of the endpoint, this includes the Spark Room 55 even though you can view the content locally.

HDCP content and video conferencing has been discussed many times in the forums, a workaround is to put something between the source and endpoint to strip out HDCP.

eservcoll
Level 1
Level 1

Any update on this? Still seems to be an issue, but is hit or miss. Sometimes the Mac works, sometimes doesnt. Happens on all four room kit models. Windows machines always work.

The Room Kit device will correctly stop the transmission of any content that is marked with HDCP.  On models as listed above (and the newer ones), the devices can display HDCP content locally, but will not allow it to be sent to the far end.

There are ways around this (ie inserting a device between the AppleTV and the Room Series endpoint that strips HDCP), but their use is not something that can be officially supported.

Wayne

ElvisCruz52590
Level 1
Level 1

Resurrecting this thread as its a year old.  I am using the Cisco Room Kit Plus (Vers. 11.5.1.9) and trying to connect an AppleTV.  I understand that when building the Macro you have to identify the input and ensure CEC is on.  However I am still experiencing issues with command (turning on the Apple device and navigation).  https://roomos.cisco.com/macros/AppleTV%20Control

If you're just wanting to use an AppleTV to get AirPlay capability, you should note that this is now part of the RoomOS software.  Details on how to configure it on the endpoint can be found at Configure wireless sharing with AirPlay 

Wayne