cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Standalone EX60 for H.323 calls?

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

I have some new EX60 units that will eventually be connected via the VCS server, but for now they're just sitting around.  I was wondering if it was possible to configure one as a standalone unit to be able to make H.323 video calls.   I may have a need to use one for training and it would be great if I can configure it to work independently for the purpose of making an outbound H.323 video call to someone else's service.  Is that even possible?   Pardon my ignorance, this is sort of new to me :-)

7 Replies 7

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could configure two of them up on your LAN and make direct IP calls between the two for your training purposes.

Under Configuration, System Configuration, H.323, set the "CallSetup Mode" to "Direct" rather than Gatekeeper.  You should then be able to dial the IP address of the 2nd similarly configured device.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

If your EX60 has software version 4.2 or later, then you'll also be able to make H.323 calls using Annex O URI dialling; i.e. Alias@domain, without having your unit registered to the VCS.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as answered if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

Wow....this was too easy.  I should have tried this first, but I didn't think about it until I was at home.   Literally all I did was plug it into our LAN and let it get a DHCP IP address and then I used the touchpad to dial the Polycom video test number as an IP address, for example: 140.242.250.202

...and that's it.  It dialed out and connected right away ;-)    I didn't have to configure anything at all on the EX60.  

This unit is running software version TC6.1.1.7d7af15

Hi,

You can also make SIP calls with no configuration..

If the far ends domain and systems are configured correctly ( responding to sip standards at sip..com and various other urls ) then you can make SIP calls.

simply dail the URI of the recipient.

//Marius

Thanks

Please remember to rate the correct responses and mark your question as answered if it's all working.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

jmeier10510 wrote:

...and that's it.  It dialed out and connected right away ;-)    I didn't have to configure anything at all on the EX60.  

This unit is running software version TC6.1.1.7d7af15

Default configuration setting for CallSetup Mode is "Direct" - so that's why it worked straight out of the box - good stuff.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.