Views
Helpful
Replies

SX 20 integration with VCS

Sunish Nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to integrate SX 20 with VCS.

Because our End customer want to integrate TP with their MS Lync, so found that VCS can do this job. So please suggest...

Also would like to notify that we are planing to use Public IP Address for SX 20 for receving the incoming calls from Public IP Address, also it will integrated with ISDN Gateway.

Product details for this solution:

VCS

SX 20

TP ISDN Gateway

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Sunish

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Yep, its possible, check this.

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

Michael Boscia
Level 4
Level 4

Everything you have asked is technically possible.

However, your implementation model is not best practice and will make the solution a bit more difficult to use and support.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sunish,

Sx20 registers to VCS as a normal endpoint only. however as pointed by Michael as well since you would like to put the sx20 on the internet so that public users can dial in, and you have a ISDN gateway as well, the first thing would be opening the ports in your corporate network and again its not a recomended way to go.

you should use the expressway traversal deplyoment for outside users to reach the sx20.

Thanks

Alok

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SX20 is standard base H.323 Endpoint/SIP UA, therefore VCS works perfectly for Gatekeeper/SIP Proxy server.

You may also use provisioning to control registration and configuration template to SX20 by using TMS PE as well.

For integration with ISDN Gateway, strongly recommend to use VCS-Expressway (also if you are looking for MS Lync Edge integration with ICE) for handling the call from public network.

This is not only for securing the ISDN GW resource (please refer CPL on administrator guide), but also simplify the firewall configuration on own back end infrastructure devices.

Sunish,

What we're trying to explain is that what you're suggesting isn't really the best or even a recommended way to go about doing what you're trying to do.

Can it be done?

Yes

But that deployment model is not recommended for a variety of reasons:

1) Security

2) Scalability

3) Ease of use

There are more reasons, those are just the first few that came to mind.

The best way to accomplish your goals is to purchase a VCS-Control and VCS-Expressway, then you only need a single public IP address to NAT the external interface of the VCS-Expressway.

All of your internal devices and also your ISDN GW register to the VCS-Control.

If you end up using NAT to allow public Internet access to your SX20s, it is only a matter of time before someone sees the open ports on your firewall that you're NATing to those endpoints and starts attacking them.

11 Replies 11

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Yep, its possible, check this.

Please rate useful posts.

Michael Boscia
Level 4
Level 4

Everything you have asked is technically possible.

However, your implementation model is not best practice and will make the solution a bit more difficult to use and support.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sunish,

Sx20 registers to VCS as a normal endpoint only. however as pointed by Michael as well since you would like to put the sx20 on the internet so that public users can dial in, and you have a ISDN gateway as well, the first thing would be opening the ports in your corporate network and again its not a recomended way to go.

you should use the expressway traversal deplyoment for outside users to reach the sx20.

Thanks

Alok

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SX20 is standard base H.323 Endpoint/SIP UA, therefore VCS works perfectly for Gatekeeper/SIP Proxy server.

You may also use provisioning to control registration and configuration template to SX20 by using TMS PE as well.

For integration with ISDN Gateway, strongly recommend to use VCS-Expressway (also if you are looking for MS Lync Edge integration with ICE) for handling the call from public network.

This is not only for securing the ISDN GW resource (please refer CPL on administrator guide), but also simplify the firewall configuration on own back end infrastructure devices.

Hi,

Thanks to all, Yes i am proposing that also.

Is it possible to provide related technical documentation for the ports which we need to be open for the communication pourpose. Also please suggest me how i can do this kind of integration, since technical its difficult to do.

Regards,

Sunish

Sunish,

you need ports for which deployment???

sx20 RTP ports you can configure under the RTP port configuration on the Sx20.

the start range could be anything between 1024 to 65502 and stop range could be 1056 to 65535

Thanks

Alok

If i m using with NAT mode, Like Public IP Address will be NAT to the SX20 for making calls ... in this scenario i dont want to use lot of Public IP Address also it will make me easy for communicating with VCS and ISDN Gateway...

So please suggest also please correct me if i am wrong ...

Sunish,

What we're trying to explain is that what you're suggesting isn't really the best or even a recommended way to go about doing what you're trying to do.

Can it be done?

Yes

But that deployment model is not recommended for a variety of reasons:

1) Security

2) Scalability

3) Ease of use

There are more reasons, those are just the first few that came to mind.

The best way to accomplish your goals is to purchase a VCS-Control and VCS-Expressway, then you only need a single public IP address to NAT the external interface of the VCS-Expressway.

All of your internal devices and also your ISDN GW register to the VCS-Control.

If you end up using NAT to allow public Internet access to your SX20s, it is only a matter of time before someone sees the open ports on your firewall that you're NATing to those endpoints and starts attacking them.

Thanks for your detailed reply

Even i am proposing those things also... but if any case budget comes to concern then ....

I have a device SX 20 . End SIP Server ELASTIX 2.5 

can i connect SX20 on this system or 

van i connect SX20 in public IP and get registration public Sip or SIP URI account. without CUCM or VCS.

Dose it works just standart sip phone ?

Sunish,

one important thing to note.

NAT doesn't work in conjuction with gatekeeper.  so please be sure before proposing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/quick-set-sx20/tc5/administrator_guide/sx20_quickset_administrator_guide_tc51.pdf

check the link above.

Thanks

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: