Views
Helpful
Replies

sx 80 codec dialing issue.

kingvoice
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts ;

I am unable to dial ip address by use * instead of dot by touh pad . Please advice

172*16*50*40 unable to dial  every time it changes to  this format172.16.50.40...

KV

12 Replies 12

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

172.16.50.40 is the correct format when dialling IP addresses so when it changes * to . then this is normal, and correct, behaviour as 172*16*50*40 would not get you anywhere at all.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Thanks ;

Actually we have route pattern !*!*!*! in Callmanager in order to reach to expressways. What is the best practice route pattern for dialing IP from SX 80 ? What i know Callmanager does not suport IP address ..

Appreciate your support

Thanks ; Any other options except those ? ..

If you want to dial IP Addresses from endpoints registered to CUCM, you must use the configuration example Acevirgil linked to in his reply. CUCM only accepts DNs or SIP URI dialing, it format understand anything outside of that such as IP Addresses, which is why you need to use the method outlined in that example. 

Thanks but how to restricts  sx80 to dial * instead of . cause we have route pattern of !*!*!*! ..

You should use Option 1 noted in that example and append a domain to the dialed address, then strip the domain off at the VCS/Expressway.  As Jens has mentioned the guide is misleading when it comes to Option 2 which doesn't actually work as how the endpoints will automatically translate the asterisks to periods.

You can't change the behavior of the endpoint.  Can you add another pattern that matches something other than the asterisk as the separator?

Wayne

--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Heh - that document shows, IMO, a disconnect between the CUCM development team and the end-point development team as it states:

"Option 2"

"Replace the dots with a symbol in order to turn the IP address into a string.
For example, to dial the IP address 198.51.100.2, users will dial 198*51*100*2."

And yet, the end-point development team includes a functionality in the end-point which automatically changes 198*51*100*2 to 198.51.100.2 when dialling IP addresses, which is, unless I've missed something, exactly what kingvoice is experiencing.

Seeing all the different issues CUCM users have to deal with makes me rather happy we never went for this solution - and I'm very pleased to say we will commence deployment of Pexip this Jan/Feb with the intention of eventually moving away from all Cisco infrastructure devices. :)

/jens

I have a SX-80 that does not take dot (.), but takes star when dialing IP address. in the past, I watch my EX-90 change * to. just before dialing. however, dote (.) is non-functional, only star (*).

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When dialing IP Adresses, using an asterisk (*) in the place of a period(.) is a short easy method to enter the address as the codec will automatically change the asterisks to periods when it recognizes you're trying to input an IP address. Once you enter the third asterisk, followed by a number, it will change them all to periods as long as what you're entering is in the format of an IP Address. 

I have a SX-80 system does not take star(*) when dialing in boundaries of VLAN only dot (.). out boundaries connection occur when dialing star (*). Please provide expernation if possible.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: