cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20, Control with RS-232

soohyung choi
Level 1
Level 1

We want to use SX 20 with crestron controller(using RS-232)

Before, we used C20 with RS-232 controller using Y Cable

But SX20 don't have RS-232 port

Can i use SX20 with RS-232?

Thanks

Regard

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Danny De Ridder
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

you can use the USB port on the SX20 to connect a USB to serial cable. Once the SX20 is booted, you should get the RS-232 activated. It runs at a speed of 115200. You will not get any connection in the early boot process including  U-boot. Only when system is fully booted, the port will be active. The RS-232 presents itself as a DTE. I do not know what the CRESTON expects. Should it be a DCE, you are OK, if not, a null-modem will be required. Have not tried to use the USB port on the SX20 myself. Will give it a shot and test it.

View solution in original post

Rafal Szeremeta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
8 Replies 8

Danny De Ridder
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

you can use the USB port on the SX20 to connect a USB to serial cable. Once the SX20 is booted, you should get the RS-232 activated. It runs at a speed of 115200. You will not get any connection in the early boot process including  U-boot. Only when system is fully booted, the port will be active. The RS-232 presents itself as a DTE. I do not know what the CRESTON expects. Should it be a DCE, you are OK, if not, a null-modem will be required. Have not tried to use the USB port on the SX20 myself. Will give it a shot and test it.

Do I need to manually enable usb port so that I can do serial communication from web interface settings?

I have been trying to control SX20 codec for last two days, but no luck. I am using Extron DTP Crosspoint 864K in order to control this SX20.

Any guidance will be appreciated. I am stuck

Thank you,

Kuntal

By default the serial port is enabled.

You can check your settings though on the web interface under Setup > Configuration > SerialPort.

Note: the default speed is 38400, not 115200 mentioned in an earlier post.  You can change it on the Setup screen if you need to and to make sure it matches what your other device is set to.

image.png

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Yes, I did all this. But still I can not control Cisco SX20. I will take one moe shot with different USB to serial adapter cable and hope it will magically work. This is very frustrating. Please let me know if you still have any other suggestions. I will try those too

Make sure your USB->Serial adaptor is using one of the supported chipsets.

From memory the PL2303 and FTDI ones are the oners to look for.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I somehow can not control Cisco SX20 with Extron D50 using DTP Crosspoint 864K inbuilt controller IPCP Pro350. I am using USB to serial adpater on SX20 side - female to female DB-9 adapter - TX,RX, and ground going to COM port of IPCP pro 350.  Even I called Extron few times, but they couldn't even solve this issue. Any suggestins will be greatly appreciated. 

Rafal Szeremeta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Please check this post:

https://communities.cisco.com/thread/28912

Thanks

Rafal

soohyung choi
Level 1
Level 1

it is solved with your help.

thanks your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: