cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 Echo

ddwinters45
Level 1
Level 1

We have an SX20 in a conference room. During calls in this conference room, they experience intermittent echoing. Audio sounds fine everywhere except in this room and the echo comes and goes and varies in degree. With simple pings through the network I did not see any abnormally high latency between sites sitting at 4-6 ms which I wouldn't think would make a difference. We have tried calling that room from different locations and still experience the echo only there. We do have external audio speakers connected to the SX20 to resolve issues with the TVs not outputting the sound properly. I'm not real sure where to go from here. I've poured through the settings but nothing stuck out at me. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you hearing the echo in that particular room, or is the far end participant hearing the echo when in calls with that room?

Depending on the delay that you have in your signals, the simple echo cancellation in the codec may not be enough for your room with the added speakers and microphones, etc.  In which case you may need some external DSP which can perform better AEC and be tuned for your specific room acoustics.

If you are just going to play with settings on the SX20, the ones you are looking for are on the Web interface under the Audio > Input > Microphone [1..2] EchoControl section.  The defaults (and what works most of the time) are Dereverberation: Off, Mode: On, NoiseReduction: On

If you are using external DSP to perform the echo cancellation, it is recommended to turn the code to Mode: Off.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne,

Thank you very much for the response. The echo is in the room. The default settings are what are set and the issue still persists. We have multiple very similar room setups without this problem. This also was not an issue until recently. We have had this setup for several years.

Check the settings in the other rooms - if they're not set up properly, it'd be them that would be sending your audio back to you.  Hearing too much echo is most often a far end configuration issue.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: