Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20, extending the camera cable

Hi

I have project where I would like to use the SX20 codec, due to it being having multisite at an affordable price. But locating the codec and camera together is not an option for this installation. So I need to extend the camera cable,Picture attached.

I am thinking of ordering the following gear:    SX20 Codec,

PrecisionHD Camera 1080P12x (not the new SX20 camera), Picture attached.

Power supply PSU-CAM-V and cat6 shielded POE injector camera extension kit CAB-PHD-EXTR

My theory here is to inject power via the camera's power supply over the Cat6 cable with the POE unit on it, to enable a longer control cable run. Then use a Kramer PT10Hxl HDMI extender to handle the video signal.

Would this work? Or does anyone know of a CISCO endorsed method/manual on how exactly to do this

Kind regards

Chris J v Rensburg

OMEGA DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES

chrisj@omegadigital.co.za

27 Replies 27

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Chris,

This is something which is not tested by cisco, however you can go ahead and try this.

the extender kiet cable will work with a regular 12x camera with a power supply.

you can try and update.

or else you can go ahead and make a cable

CAB-HDMI-PHD12XS=

using the pinouts you have to in order to use the supplied camera with a SX20.

Regarding lengths - the cables we provide are 3 meters long.  When an  integrator makes their own extensions, they need to observe normal rules  for RS-232, power, and digital video.  For example:

Any camera  control cable that is longer than 5 meters, should not connect the 12V+  pin, and the camera should be powered locally with PSU-CAM-V=

The  control signal is Visca, which uses RS-232 at a baud rate of 9600.  With  care and large enough gauge cable (e.g. 22/4 shielded audio cable), the  signal can be run 75 to 100 feet.

Digital video is not friendly to  long cable runs (with the exception of HD-SDI).  So for cable runs  longer than 15 feet, either very high quality cable needs to be used, or  repeaters of some type, or extenders based on UTP or fiber.

hope that helps

Regards

Ravi

Hi

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I am going the cable kit and PSU route will update when installation happens.

FYI I will be using this forum a lot! And recommend it to all the people in my company.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Chris,

That's some thing good to hear that you will be referring other people to have a look on support community.

it will be a plesure to answer all the queries.

I am waiting for your update on this issue.

Thanks

Ravi

Have your tried to extend the  camera cables on the SX20, if so did it work.

Pooven

Hi

No not yet the install will only happen in about a month. Will keep you updated. Ravi I hope your plan works!

Hi Chris,

sounds awesome.

Thanks

We have purchased a number of SX20 packages with the 4x cameras and have discovered that at a couple of sites the supplied 3m custom cable is not long enough.

Am I correct in thinking that Cisco have chosen not tto make these cables in longer lengths? (happy to be told otherwise on this)

What are my options bearing in mind that I am no good with a soldering iron?

Hi Richard,

As of now now extended cables provided by cisco.

once main reason could be that these devices are qucikset devices and not the integrator packages.

not made for such large divisions , in order to get optimal from the device.

on the other hand there are other ways as mentioned already in the thread.

Thanks

Ravi

Hi all

We have just completed the installation mentioned in my original post. It worked and its very easy!
Order you SX20 with the 12X zoom camera. You will get a camera cable that has the new propriety camera cable: (HDMI and control) to a separate HDMI and control cable. Use standard HDMI extenders (Kramer) and RJ45 female to female barrels.
Today at the office we extended the control cable 25m, and it works.
Thanks for all the help.
Chris

thanks for the update Chris

Curtis
Level 1
Level 1

We just installed our SX20 yesturday and had the camera 80ft away from the Codec. We used a TRULINK HDMI over CAT5e Extender, Model 40477 (except we used CAT6). Works like a charm and picture is beautiful. The camera cable that comes with the system stays with the codec as it has a proprietary end and then use regular CAT and HDMI cable at the camera. You do need to run 2 CAT cables for every 1 HDMI cable though, so you would need 5 all together, 2 for camera to codec, 2 for codec to TV and then 1 for camera control.

If you want more detail please let me know.

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Curtis,

What is the camera model 4x or 12x

Thanks
Ravi kr..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Curtis
Level 1
Level 1

SX20. Works really well.

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Curtis,

Does that means you have accomplished what u were looking for.
Cheers

Thanks
Ravi kr

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: