Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 is not getting register on DHCP

hassankazmi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, 

We purchased new SX20 which we cannot access due to not able to asign any IP assigned  by our DHCP. We tried to put static IP but still help less as we cannot access that IP in web interface as well as cannot ping it. 

Regards, 

Hassan 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
10 Replies 10

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Restart the SX20 after configuring IP, Subnet, Gateway, and setting IP assignment to Static?

Thank you Patrick for your valuable input.

We were able to access its web interface  connected directly with laptop but through switch its web interface wasn't accessible.

However, we came to know that static IP assigned by ISP do not fall in white list and it can be the reason not accessible through network.

Further, we have added the multi site option key but still it's pretty complicated to make this unit work. We thought that it will be a plug and play box and we will be running it right after powering on. We just wasted whole day in figuring out that why it doesn't get register with DHCP and even if we put a static IP, it gives DNS error too. 

Can you please further advice that what are the recommended settings as it will be a standalone unit without any firewall ahead and we want to establish calls with different client. We just want to give URL to our client along credentials to join the meeting. 

We do not want to register on spark services as it is a paid service. what other option we must have to define to make it active for video calls. It would be helpful if you could assist for SIP or H.323 settings  

You can deploy the SX20 as a standalone system that isn't registered to a call control server (CUCM, VCS/Expressway, Spark), take a look at Vivek's reply in SX20 as standalone for the configuration needed to accomplish that.  Standalone endpoints are capable of making H323 calls via IP, can also dial using alias@domain, but requires the remote site to have call control infrastructure to support calling via domain.

SX20 doesn't support web conferencing, regarding your comment about "URL to our client along credentials to join the meeting", the remote site will need an standards based video conference system that supports IP dialing in order to connect to you.  If you have WebEx Meeting Center, you can connect to it, and others can connect to WebEx, if web based conferencing is required.

Thank you for your swift reply. 

I checked that discussion and it was pretty helpful. We have asked to ISP for putting our static IP in whitelist and now waiting to get it done. Do I need to assign that public IP address as it will be assigned to our router first while telepresence we set with local address 192.168.100.50. If we assign same static/public IP to SX20, it will not work because of conflict or do we need to request for one more static IP. Also, pls elaborate the NAT address in H.323 configuration? Which address it is? Thank you! 

You'll need to work with your network team as to how to deploy the endpoint in your environment, it's hard to say because I don't know the details about how your network is deployed and I'm not a network admin. I don't recommend using an IP that is openly reachable via the public internet, as you will face toll-fraud attempts against (search the forums for toll-fraud to understand what this is), recommend you restrict access to certain IPs you plan on video conferencing with.
NAT is used if the endpoint is assigned an internal IP address, NAT allows people to dial a public IP and it will translate to the internal IP. H323 NAT on the endpoint is configured with the public IP, and uses this IP in all singling with external systems, as external systems can't reach the internal IP of the endpoint.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. 

This is pretty helpful. We need to set telepresence on local IP 192.168.100.50/24 and H.323 NAT address will be our router’s public IP address which is static. Also, we will have to define couple of rules on router for port forwarding. This is what I got till now. 

As you talked about webex meetings in your last post, can you please enlighten that how it works. I have installed Cisco WebEx app on my iPhone: 

Many thanks again for your help. 

Warm Regards, 

Hassan 

I only mentioned WebEx because of your earlier comment regarding people joining via URL etc, which with just an SX20 alone, that isn't possible and requires something like WebEx.
If it's the free version of WebEx, it doesn't support dialing in from video endpoints, only the paid versions of WebEx Meeting Center does, my other post has information about WebEx Meeting Center Video Conferencing.

Please explain about webex meeting centre. How we can set this up? 

WebEx Meeting Center is a Cloud SaaS subscription.
WebEx Meeting Center Video Conferencing Data Sheet

Ray Boland
Level 1
Level 1

Check the VLAN settings on the SX20 - set it to "off" and test using a PC crossover cable

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: