Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 Microphone Stuck on Red (mute)

cwade23
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings

I have a new SX20 that was just installed and the microphone is stuck on red. It is NOT muted and you can mute a call from the touch panel. I press the mute/unmute on the mic and it makes no difference.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you in advance

11 Replies 11

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What software version is the SX20 running, and was it recently upgraded or downgraded?

It sounds like you might be hitting bug CSCux85199, also see cisco_ce800_deferral_notice.  It's seen if an SX20 was running CE8.0 and later downgraded to TC7.3.x, or even with some new SX20s shipped with TC7.3.x.

Thanks for your reply. Our version is TC7.3.4, so it does not sound like the bug would be the cause but I could be wrong. Any other possibilities?

It still could be, in the TC7 Release Notes for TC7.3.5 which is the fix for that bug, it said that even some new SX20s that ship with TC7.3.x can have it.  Could you upgrade to TC7.3.5 and see if the issue is still there?  If that doesn't fix it, you might have an issue with the microphone and maybe need to RMA it, at that point you should contact TAC.

As [@patrick.sparkman] wrote, yes, it is still likely that your endpoint is affected by one of the circumstances that cause the microphone mute button issue discussed in that bug.  The downgrade process from CE isn't the only thing that brings out this issue.  I'd suggest that you upgrade to TC7.3.5 which should resolve the problem, then you can downgrade back to TC7.3.4 (or earlier) if you really want to.

The symptoms of the above problem are:

• Mic has red ring when active
  • Mic has no light when muted
  • Mute button on mic doesn't work at all
  • Muting via touch panel, remote, or web interface works (but just toggles between red and off as above)

This seems to affect SX20s with mainboard hardware version [B0] more than any other version.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Greetings

I upgraded the SX20 to TC7.3.5.a93bdb1 and the issue continues.

Not sure if this is a microphone issue or codec or both. Obtaining another mic and I am going to saw the original one out for the new one. Beyond that, the only other thing I can think of is to factory reset and start fresh.

Any other idea?

One way to tell if it's a codec or microphone issue, is to swap the microphone with a known working one.  Depending on if the issue follows the microphone or stays with the codec, you'll then know where the issue is.  If it follows the microphone, then contact TAC for an RMA.  If it stays with the codec, then perform a factory reset to see if it resolves the issue, if that still doesn't resolve it then contact TAC for an RMA.

check for this bug as well

Quickset mic with SX20 doesnt show any led lit when unmuted
CSCuw74729

Description
Symptom:
Quickset mic with SX20 doesnt show any led lit when unmuted

Found that the led on the microphone goes off when the unit is unmuted and turns red when we mute it.

I performed a recreate in the lab and was able to reproduce it.

Here is my analysis from the recreate I performed

1 got 2 sx20 units, both running on TC 7.3.3 version

One Sx20 is able to show the same behaviour. (No led lit when the codec is unmuted, shows red led when muted)
Other Sx20 on the same version shows (Green led when codec is unmuted, shows red led when muted)

As the software version of both units were same, so I compared the configuration and there was no difference

I tried comparing the hardware detail of the lab problematic unit with the Customer sx20.
I found

Customer Sx20

*s SystemUnit Hardware BootSoftware: "U-Boot 2010.06-38"
*s SystemUnit Hardware MainBoard Identifier: "101790-8 [D0]"
*s SystemUnit Hardware MainBoard SerialNumber: "F3950289"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module CompatibilityLevel: "3"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module Identifier: "C0"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module SerialNumber: "FTT191600KN"

Lab Sx20 (problematic)

*s SystemUnit Hardware BootSoftware: "U-Boot 2010.06-40"
*s SystemUnit Hardware MainBoard Identifier: "101790-8 [D0]"
*s SystemUnit Hardware MainBoard SerialNumber: "F4034631"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module CompatibilityLevel: "3"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module Identifier: "C0"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module SerialNumber: "FTT19190243"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Monitoring Fan 1 Status: ?idle"

I see a similarity in the board ID of both unit. Comparing to a working SX20 lab unit

Working Lab unit
*s SystemUnit Hardware BootSoftware: "U-Boot 2010.06-40"
*s SystemUnit Hardware MainBoard Identifier: "101790-6 [A0]"
*s SystemUnit Hardware MainBoard SerialNumber: "F1279425"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module CompatibilityLevel: "2"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module Identifier: "A0"
*s SystemUnit Hardware Module SerialNumber: "FTT1614009F"

Then I upgraded the problematic unit to TC 7.3.4 (beta version) and do not see any change.
Tested on TC 7.2.1 and saw the same issue.

Then upgraded to CE 8.0 beta and I am able to see a green led on mute and red led on the mute.

Conditions:
Try to press the mute button. it doesn respond. When try to unmute the microphone, it doesnt show any led lit. when muted, led turns red

Workaround:
mute or unmute from the web interface or from the command line

You could also try updating to CE8.0.1 to see if that fixes the microphone - then downgrade back to TC7.3.5 afterwards.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Given that all those earlier TC7 releases have now been deferred, an upgrade to TC7.3.6 is recommended to fix this issue.  I have done that on a couple this week and can confirm that it does solve the problem on those endpoints that are behaving as I described previously.

Wayne
--

Wayne
--

I may have a SX20 with the same problem. I see in your post that 7.3.6 is a possible fix, but I am currently running 7.3.6 (Current versionTC7.3.6.ea51021)so have you seen any reports of the issue on that version?

Thanks

I have seen it happen a couple of times on the newer software releases when an end user has damaged the microphone cable, breaking or shorting the wiring inside.

In this case, the microphone needs to be replaced.

Wayne
--

Wayne
--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: