Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 with external microphone

Ben Blumson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Does anyone else ever encounter the scenario where a client wants to connect only one peripheral to a wall-mounted SX20, but also have a ceiling microphone?  Should this solution really require an Integrator codec?

People connect all brands of PCs to SX20 codecs.  Why should the SX20s not be able to accept different brands of microphones?

Cisco...can you help at all?  Is there a workaround available?

Thank you.

14 Replies 14

Ashwani Pande
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ben,

I believe we can not achieve this scenrio as we know SX20 Codec is not a Intigrator package.

You may can follow up the post.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2193552.

Hope this help.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Ashwani.

It just seems that the C40 is massive overkill for someone who just wants to connect a PC and a ceiling microphone in a boardroom (or any environment).  To me, an 'integration' means AMX, AV rack and heaps of inputs/outputs.  This could be just me, but connecting a PC and a non-Cisco microphone shouldn't really qualify as an integration.

The C20 was branded as a Quick Set device and we never had a problem using non-Cisco mics with them.  Is there any chance the SX20 Quick Set will be able to accommodate external mics any time soon?  Instead of a C40, is there a phantom power solution that we can use in the meantime?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben-

Were you guys able to ever figure this out? With the latest software update, the codec throws an error if it doesn't see the SX microphone, we are using a Biamp processor to feed the SX input.

thanks

I have SX's with software version 7.0.2, that works perfectly fine with 3rd party mic's. What version did you try?

If the codec does not "see" the Mic20 connected, and will not "activate" that input.

What microphone did you use and how was it connected? Pinout, or plug type?

The Cisco microphones have a very specific TRRS arrangement on their pins. I suspect the problem some people have isn't software related but getting the right connection within the mic connector...

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

People connect all brands of PCs to SX20 codecs.  Why should the SX20s not be able to accept different brands of microphones?

Hi Ben, welcome to Cisco Support Community!

The microphone inputs of SX20 are not standard audio interfaces, that's why you cannot connect another standard microphone to them. Have you ever realized that Cisco Telepresence Microphones used with SX20 have mute button? This is one the reasons why the inputs are not standard.

With regards audio PC input, it is a standard audio interface, that's why you can connect any device to it. However, it is not recomended to connect a microphone to this input, because it is not designed for this purpose, so that you can have problem with echo.

SX20 is not designed to the kind of room you have. I would also suggest you an integrator package solution, such as C40/60.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Craig Upton
Level 1
Level 1

I prefer not to use the SX20 or C20 for integrated systems however you can connect other microphones if you wire it correctly.

The microphone socket is a 3.5mm 4 pole mini jack, from tip it's Audio Hot, Audio Cold, Microphone Control, Ground.

We've connected a Cisco Audio Science microphone for example by making a 3pin Female XLR to 4pin 3.5mm mini jack adaptor cable, connect only the Audio Hot, Audio Cold, Ground. Do not connect anything to Microphone Control.

The pin outs for the C20/SX20 are documented in the Cisco TelePresence Quick Set C20 Administrators Guide.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Craig

t.svatek
Level 3
Level 3

Please consult

http://conftech.blogspot.com

for a detailed description how to connect external mics to a SX20 or C20.

regards

Tino

afadeyev1
Level 1
Level 1

I would aways prefer C40 over SX, but in most of the cases our accountants making it imposible.

Been using celing mic's (Shure) with C20's and SX's for few years now.

Simpliest way:

Get the cable simular to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07R07D8096

and XLR. Cut the RCA's and solder 3.5 side to XLR

The pinout is:

1(3.5) - 2 (XLR)

2+3(3.5) - 3(XLR)  - yes you need to short audio cold and control in order to "fool" the codec.

4(3.5) - 1 (XLR).

Some might say it is barbarian way of doing it, but it works perfectly fine. No need for additional fantom power injector.

Solder both ends (3.5 and XLR) if you have skills .

This is literally a quick fix! But if it works, fine!

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

this one worked for me as well, with audio technica AT871R Mics,which require phantom. Apparently the 11V is enough.

Ben Blumson
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the replies ya'll, greatly appreciated.  Hopefully we'll strike gold with one of the pinouts.  Time to get the soldering iron out    I'll let you know how we go.

tkiel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, DPA microphones has created an adapter and sells great ceiling mics as well. I will recommend you contact them http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en

We are using this solution at several sites.

Thomas

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: