cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SYSTEM UPGRADE ISSUES CE9.X.X

Chet Cronin
Level 4
Level 4

I am running TMS 15.9.0 ... generally is working well using the Booking, Conference Manager, and reporting.  My issues are upgrades, and templates. 

I have over 300 systems and 90 percent of them are on Ce9.4.0 and higher.   I am trying to use TMS upgrade to upgrade them to Ce9.8.1.   Basically the upgrade feature fails.  Most of my systems are within the local network i.e. "NO FIREWALL" involved. 

Makes are DX80, CISCO Webex and Spark Series up to and including Room 70D's.   

When I check activity status the percent is 0 and I select one of the systems being upgraded I see only the following:

Event Created

Event executred by (Server name) 

Endpoint running software: ce9.4.02bc0aa4505

"Than nothing"  

Even after refreshing  the page on TMS ... 

So my question to the "experts" is upgrading direct from Ce9.4.0 to Ce9.8.1 or increment and if I have to increment what levels ?? 

Chet Cronin
6 Replies 6

JJ77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

There is no need of incremental upgrade from CE9.0 to CE9.8

Please check the if  provisioning mode on device is set to TMS 

Ensure that the device is on right VLAN and also if the software image uploaded on TMS is not corrupted 

Provisioning mode is OFF.   When it's on I get error on the device that provisioning mode fails ?? 

I checked TMS and don't see any issues ?? 

Also Devices are on different VLANs "NOT VOICE VLAN"  All devices must be on separate VTC data VLANs. 

???  

Chet Cronin

Hi

Please check the following 

I have seem some cases wherein the device gets upgraded but nothing is reported / updated back on TMS.

Have you logged in on the device/codec  and checked if the version has changed?

1)please check the logs on TMS

You can also access the logs directly on the server. The default log location is:
Program Files (x86)\TANDBERG\TMS\data\Logs.
There are two log folders; Install and TMSDebug.

2)Confirm if you are following steps ->

Uploading the Software to Cisco TMS
1. Go to Systems > System Upgrade > Software Manager.
2. Click Upload New Software.
3. Click Browse and locate the software package.
4. Click Upload.
Verify that the package is visible in the list on the Software Manager page.
Upgrading the Endpoints
1. Go to Systems > System Upgrade > System Upgrade.
2. Locate the endpoint(s) you want to upgrade by using the folder view, selecting an alternate listing from the
drop-down, or searching for the system on the Search tab.
3. Select the system(s) and click Next.
The Select Software and Release Keys page opens.
4. Fill in:
— The software version, using the drop-down list in the Software field.
— The Date and Start Time you want for the scheduled upgrade.
— For legacy systems a Release Key for the software may be required.

5. Click Upgrade.
— For systems on the organization's network, you can now verify that the upgrade has been scheduled or
initiated by going to Systems > System Upgrade > System Upgrade Activity Status.
— Systems behind a firewall/NAT must now be booted. Cisco TMS will initiate the upgrade when receiving the
boot event.

You may have some spaces in the filename for the software on your TMS server.Please try removing the space

My issue isn't the upgrade process.   My issue is the fact the upgrade isn't happening when using TMS 100 percent of the time.   This is extremely frustrating.  On top of that when I upgrade a system strange things happen. 

Example:  SX20 running Ce8.2.2 .. no warnings fully operational 

I manually upgrade using the browser to Ce9.8.1. 

Upgrade appears to be successfull but now get problems.

1.  The Networkservices H323 is turned off .   Upgrade caused it

2.  Camera Detection:  No Camera Found 

3.  All Systems are registered to VCS.

Make sure that the control cable between the camera and the system is connected

Upgrade caused that too. 

I really wish CISCO Developers focused on inperability and reliability rather than WEB SITE BELLS AND WHISTLES ..

Is QA really happening for all the frequent upgrades .. 

Yes big time frustrated when one has over 330 CISCO Systems to upgrade ..  Either it's TMS foobar or Browser mess when trying to perforem an upgrade. 

So Why did Ce9.8.1 turn off H323 (which is happening alot) and now I see no camera detection on sx20's ... 

Chet Cronin

Sounds frustrating indeed. When you upgrade an SX20 from CE8 to CE9 the camera will most likely upgrade which takes a while. During this time the camera will not be in a connected state, I assume this is what you were seeing unless it is still in this state.

What are you using for call control? CUCM?

You say that provisioning mode is off and when you set it to TMS it fails.. it would be interesting to see the error messages to why it fails, it may be related to the upgrade issue you are seeing.

Do you have logs from the device?

/magnus

TMS issue aside I just upgraded a Room 55 from Ce9.4.0 to Ce9.8.1 30 minutes ago and went to peripherials and Camera 1 Software ID, Serial Number, and IP Address are blank ?? This system is at a very remote site so I can't physically see it. Yes I agree that there is a wait time when the camera is upgrading firmware but 30 minutes ??? ---------------- SX20 - with TRC6 handheld remotes. What is the firmware limit for them ... Some were on TC7.3.7 and I uploaded Ce9.8.1 so maybe that is the issue with some of them.? If so can I put TC7.3.18 on them ?? ---------------- As for logs , all my systems are on classified DoD network so I can't move the logs to the normal CISCO emails.
Chet Cronin