cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TC7.3.0 websnapshots broken even further (by design)

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just a heads-up warning to anyone considering upgrading to TC7.3.0 - the websnapshots now include a "privacy feature" where the snapshot of the camera(s) no longer displays on the web interface screen until you specifially click to activate the video source (see attached image).  The websnapshot only shows around 5 seconds once clicked before requiring another activation.  A large message also appears on the display of the endpoint stating that the video is being monitored by an administrator.

This warning message shrinks after a short period of time to just an icon, but the icon stays on the screen for approximately 10 minutes (even after disconnecting any browser session to the endpoint).

This is in addition to the previous issue where websnpshots were disabled while the unit was in standby (no-websnapshots-when-system-standby-tc71x).

Update: TC7.3.3 returned some of the functionality, and the removal of the large message, but you need to obtain a "Remote Monitoring" option key for each endpoint.  However, this has introduced a range of other bugs which Cisco have not fully addressed yet.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

95 Replies 95

All of our VC integrated venues have a separate AV support camera. The exception is our mobile VC endpoints (typically C20 units). To better support punters using the mobile units we have enabled WebSnapshots on the C20.

Regardless of how we see a room to support it we have placed prominent signs going into and inside all our venues. We also disclose the information to staff and students at orientation. Cisco should take note here because customers are aware of their liabilities/obligations. We don't need Cisco to be Nanny in this regard.

I for one certainly don't mind when our C20 users are notified when someone is using WebSnapshots, but in its current form it is just way way too intrusive and very distracting. Admin for large venues with large front of house screens certainly need the option to disable the notice.

We came up with a work-around in our large theatres and large tutorial rooms where we are using either XS80 or C90, by pushing this to a third monitor which is out of view of the students. That means the warning does not interfere with teaching, and, as it can't be seen - completely defies the purpose of having this "feature" in the first place.

We were lucky as this coincided with major theatre a/v upgrades anyway, so it was a simple process having a third, small monitor included.

It is still a big problem in our other teaching spaces though where we can't do this, so we're staying on TC7.2.1 in these spaces.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Aaron Wilson
Level 5
Level 5

Stupid update, on many accounts. One thing that someone didn't previously mention:

-An administrator could add their endpoint into the bridge without anyone knowing. This would grant them full motion video and audio access and no one would know the wiser.. Yet a 1FPS thumbnail without audio is a security risk?

Like everyone stated, I use it to monitor remote conferences for various reasons. I also use it to tweak camera settings during larger events if someone moves out of frame.

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hey All,

On this never ending saga, has anyone tested/looked at TC7.3.1 as yet? I take it that as this is a new "feature", they wont have fixed or provided us with a reasonable workaround in this minor release. When I get time, I will read the release notes, but haven't looked through them as yet.

Cheers

Chris

Just checked, and TC7.3.1 does not change anything regarding this issue.

Had a meeting with Cisco yesterday, this issue is still with the end-point project manager. They are still discussing what they can do as this snapshot security issue apparently stems from a legal issue which was raised with them.

Meanwhile we have rolled back all systems to TC7.2.1 as frontline support staff found it impossible to work with TC7.3 due to snapshots timing out every 5 seconds.

The change from having to have physical access to a system in order to turn snapshots on/off to being able to this remotely, was partly due to the SX80 not having a remote and the fact one of their very, very large customers had been pushing for this change for quite a while.

/jens

Thanks Jens - that's similar to the information I received from Cisco yesterday too.

I've escalated it through another Cisco Australia representative yesterday as well.

The information I received on the device it was removed because of was the SX10, not the SX80, as the SX10 at that time only had a very basic remote control and no other control mechanism.  The SX80 could have been controlled from a touch panel to enable/disable the feature locally (similar to an EX90).

So, they essentially dumbed down the entire product range to match the lowest common denominator (the SX10).

But, as you've said, they have acknowledged again that the issue is still with the endpoint BU to determine if they're going to fix it or not.

And, again, similar to you, we've not upgraded (or downgraded those that were) to version TC7.2.1 (which still has a small issue with not having snapshots while in standby, but is one we can cope with by manually waking all our devices up every morning and having the standby timer set to 8 hours so they don't got to sleep during the normal business day).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Chet Cronin
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for the heads up on all this ....

One thing CISCO needs to learn is that they can't be the father for all public and private agencies ... nothing wrong with adding features but taking away known productive features isn't a good thing for anyone.  Add a feature that can be disabled as not all companies and agencies are the same and missions differ.  What is legally and issue for one company is not legal issue for a war fighting organization.... CISCO seems to forget that ...

It would be very productive to put the old capability back that TC7.2 has.

Thank you.

Chet Cronin

Chet - A CCP session covered the fix for this "enhancement and everyone should be happy with how they handle it.....the question is, when will they release it :)

-Aaron

Hi Aaaron,

The release which addresses the concerns about Web Snapshots will be released in TC7.3.3 (next dot release). This release is currently in beta and is expected to be released during May time frame.

Best regards

Roger

Thanks Roger, I got the same information from my local Cisco guys last night, and fingers crossed, a copy of the beta is on its way to me early next week to test and confirm it addresses all my issues.

Wayne

Wayne

Thank you much to the community for pulling together and pointing out when "features" are just plain wrong, or poorly implemented. Also many thanks to the community for keeping us and our supported organisation up to date on this as we have had zero feedback from Cisco and our representative.

Cheers

Chris

Just to keep people in the loop.  I've done some testing with a beta of TC7.3.3.

You need to obtain a "Remote Monitoring" option key for each of the devices to be able to view the webshapshots.

Note: You need to upgrade to TC7.3.3 before trying to add the new Remote Monitoring key as previous versions do not acknowledge that it's a valid key (1S000-1-XXXXXXXX).  Meaning at least two reboots are required to make it work.

Once the key has been installed when you go to the Call Control web page you see a "Click to view video snapshots for this source" message on both the Main Source and Presentation Source (see attached screenshot). 

The snapshots still do not show immediately on the Call Control screen as they did in versions prior to TC7.1.

But, after clicking this message, the snapshots display fine on the web interface (and refresh themselves every couple of seconds) and, more importantly, there is no large intrusive annoying message splashed across the display in the room.

So, it looks like Cisco are on the right path to having this fixed in the upcoming release - although you do need to obtain and install the "Remote Monitoring" option key on to every device, which may be a tedious process when you have a large number of endpoints.

Keep in mind, the above is from testing with early beta software, so things may change before the actual release version.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

I like to keep our gear updated but refuse to update the endpoints because of this.  Working at a law firm I understand security and the legal aspect but this was not thought out at all. There should just be an on/off option like with the snapshots themselves although it would be nice to be able to do both remotely rather than locally.  Remote Monitoring Key???  That's just as dumb!  Systems can be password protected.  That's good enough for us.  Please keep us posted.

Thanks.

Mike

I like to keep our gear updated but refuse to update the endpoints because of this.  Working at a law firm I understand security and the legal aspect but this was not thought out at all. There should just be an on/off option like with the snapshots themselves although it would be nice to be able to do both remotely rather than locally.  Remote Monitoring Key???  That's just as dumb!  Systems can be password protected.  That's good enough for us.  Please keep us posted.

Thanks.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: