cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TC7 More Than One Custom Wallpaper

philekiert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, feel like I'm coming back here more and more at the moment so thanks for your time.

Some of our codecs are attached to more than one network and are set up on TMS on each. TMS persistent templates are applied upon startup.

What I'd like to do is have the codec display which network the user is attached to via the wallpaper. I had the idea of WinSCPing into the codec to possibly overwrite one of the existing wallpapers and switch between that and 'custom', but I'm sure this would probably violate some terms or void some sort of warranty, and looking online, I'm not sure it can even be done on TC6 and up.

This is partly a request for information on how I might go about this, and if it's not possible, any ideas how I might differentiate the networks for the user? Adding an empty server phonebook labelled with the network name was suggested by someone here but that's a bit of a botch and isn't ideal.

4 Replies 4

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Starting with TC7, the root account is disabled, so you won't be able to connect to the file structure of the codec to upload wallpaper files directly to the endpoint.  There is a RemoteSupport account that provides similar functionality as the root account, but that requires you going through TAC to access that particular account.  Anyway, you can only have one custom wallpaper at a time on the endpoint, uploading another simply overrides the existing one.  I would just upload the custom wallpaper with the network information as needed.  If you're changing networks or moving the endpoint, then you're probably having to log into the endpoint already, so why not update the wallpaper at the same time.

The networks are switched sometimes several times a day by the user without technical assistance, so manually changing it isn't really an option. Thanks for the feedback though, that does confirm what I read elsewhere. I'll keep thinking on it.

You could use one wallpaper that has the information for all of the networks on it.  If the user is making the network changes themselves, then they should be able to look through a list and find the relevant information for the network they want to use.

I see what you're saying, but the user needs to see which network it is that they're on. They don't really need any information about that network, they just need to be able to differentiate the two.

On the old Tandberg kits you could put a banner at the top of the screen, that always served in the past and it's a shame there isn't a similar feature on the Cisco codecs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: