Views
Helpful
Replies

Telepresence ISDN LINK

clark white
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I am very new to telepresence ISDN Link, i want to setup for the on of the client who wants to call through BRI to another country,

we have a CTS SX20 and TP ISDN Link,

Please anybody can route me to the configuration example of this device.

Thanks

14 Replies 14

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you pair it with your SX20, then you can change the settings via the SX20's web interface (Configuration > Periperhals > Manage ISDN Link).

From there, you should be able to set the H320 Net Type to BRI and configure up anything else you want.

I've attached a copy of a basic config for a 128k ISDN BRI connection here if you want to do it all via the command line.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Dear Wayne,

very very new to the TP isdn link , how to start i dont know so pls forgive me for strange questions

• How the packet travels and how the intervention of TP isdn link comes in between can you explain me the voice path if we start from SX20 on location A to SX 20 on location B.
  • Also what i have to ask from the ITSP end (settings) to get the things work on TP ISDN LINK without any issues.
  • On the location B also there were must be isdn link device (or similar type) which will accept my call

The call path would be from your SX20 via IP to the ISDN Link where it then gets converted to ISDN and out the BRI to the ISDN service provider's network.  At the other end, there will need to be another ISDN gatway/ISDN Link to answer the ISDN call, to then convert it to IP and pass it to the other SX20.

I'm not sure what you'll need to discuss with your relevant ISDN service provider - different countries have different requirements.  If they are any sort of decent provider, they should understand your requirements if you tell them you are needing the line to your video conferencing endpoints.

Alternately, if both sites have IP networks, you could configure the endpoitns (and the firewalls at each of the sites) so the devices could talk over the IP network and not incur any ISDN call costs.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Dear wayne,

I have read the guide and things are clearing for me.

The Diretory number in the BRI fields should be my full DID number which I will get from ITSP for the BRI lines, suppose if i say  my country is following 8 digit and if i got a number from ITSP 24445123, so the number in the directory filed should be "24445123" and 24445124.

Also i want to confirm  that BRI is 2B (128KBps) +1D so when a call is initiated these 2B channels are bundled or they are working as a independent links, i will get a 2 No's DID from the ITSP???

please clarify.

Thanks

You'd generally get a number for each "line" / B channel.  Yes, usually the BRI connection you get is 2B+1D (128k) - but your mileage may vary depending on where you are located and your provider.

For most of our ISDN deivces we usually get 3 BRIs for 384k.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate reponses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Dear,

wayne i have to below question.please answer

According to your reply  "You'd generally get a number for each "line" / B channel"  if each B channel has a number than how to bundle 2 no's of B channel in each BRI.

but your mileage may vary depending on where you are located and your provider.

i didnt undestood the above lines but i am located in UAE and i am calling ceylon(srilanka).

I asked to the client and he told that he has 2 no's BRI with 2 No's of DID. so this means on isdn link device i will occupy 2 physical ports of BRI, On each port i am assuming that the ITSP has bundled 2B channels (128K) and provided to customer. Is it this type of setup done by the ITSP usually.

Sorry for the confusion - I was just saying that I don't know what your provider will give you in your location (UAE and/or Sri Lanka) - I'm in Australia, so can only make 100% certain comments for here.  But, yes, you will usually get a number for each of the ISDN B channels.  You configure both of these on the ISDN Link - ie, in my example config there are two "9999999999" Numbers - these would be the first and second B channel numbers respectively.  (And on Interface 2, 3 and 4, you'd do the same if you had additional BRI's connected).

Wayne
--

Wayne

Dear Wayne

want to be more clear before implementing

But in your example you have specified same number on the both B channles "9999999999" so this means we can add the same numbers on both channels???? so they will act as a bundle??

Each channel is capable of 64 kbps so if you dial any number the receipient will see "9999999999" so the call will be initiated by 1 B channel i.e 64kbps still 1 B channel is free, how i can make use of both B channels.

Thanks

Hi, Yes you can add the same numbers on both channels and this is the norm from what I have seen, however each BRI should have different numbers. Just because the numbers are the same does not mean that that channel will be bundled, ISDN uses BONDING protocol to combine all the different channels (from multiple BRI interfaces) into one stream for the video endpoint. How you activate this is to place a call with a bandwidth greater than 64kbps. What you will generally see by default is that when you place or receive a call channel 1 of BRI should be the first channel to be used. After this you will probably see that other channels on other BRI's are allocated depending on the bandwidth but that channel 2 of BRI 1 is left free if you are not using all the bandwidth of the the BRI lines. The reasoning behind this is that when you say to someone 9999 is my ISDN number this should be your BRI 1, in order to allow other ISDN calls inbound to that number (multisite) the codec tries to leave BRI 1 channel 2 free, or else if 9999 is dialled then far end would get a 17 user busy response. Thanks John

thanks John and wayne,

appreciate your pateints of replying my mail.

Amazing teleppresence isdn link, really its worth to have it for video conferencing.

One last question,

If suppose 2 companies fro example A and B  they dont have a TP isdn link device and also they dont have any IP connectivity , they working independent  with traditional IP Telephony setup with SX 20, phones  registered to CUCM,voice gateway (MGCP,H323) with E1 PRI link connecting to ITSP,

still they can have a video conference by SX20 on their traditional E1.

Thanks

If they're separate, with no IP or ISDN connectivity, then they won't be able to communicate... There has to be a common connectivity between the two in one form or another. If they are both connected to the Internet, then they'll have IP connectivity (with appropriate firewall rules) and you can use the SX20s as native IP endpoints with or without the ISDNLink. Wayne -- Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.
Wayne

Dear Wayne,

The Traditional ISDN E1 PRI with 30 channels which is usually provided by the ITSP around the world which is connecting to voice gateway E1 controller card, it is also an ISDN connectivity so why it will not work????

As the ISDN PRI option in TP ISDN LINK Device configuration  is also mentioning about the same ISDN E1 PRI, if i am not wrong.

Please clarify to route me on the correct path.

Thanks

You can connect the SX20 to it's own PRI, I'm not sure about sharing one with the CUCM... I've never done that before (if it's possible at all) - the ISDN services we use are all dedicated to the platform we're using them from (ie, BRIs dedicated to their ISDN lInks, or older Egd9e5 Codecs, the PRI to our 3241 ISDN gateway, etc).

I guess another option could be to register the SX20 to the CUCM - then you may not need the ISDNLink.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate reponses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

I'd just blanked out the two numbers I had in my config with the 9's, they're not actually both the same in my config - I have each of the numbers coded in for each of the lines.

Whether the call will be bonded or not has nothing to do with what the number(s) are configured to.  The bonding is negotiated between the pieces of equipmetn you are using the the provider network (and is relatively invisibile to the end user).

Wayne
--

Wayne