Helpful
Replies

TMS 13.2 + Provisioning extension is out

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
75 Replies 75

Hi Jens,

Let's make sure everyone is on the 'same page' here. As you state, the TMSPE application must be installed to the same server the TMS application resides on. However, the "tmspe" sql database can reside on an external SQL server. When installing TMSPE to the TMS server, the TMSPE installer will detect where the TMS sql database (tmsng) is located and suggest installing it to the same location as the TMS sql database (tmsng), and this is what we recommend doing. However, you can/could install the tmspe sql database to another SQL server or another instance on the SQL server.

As far as Martin's and your problem, is the installer detecting the same location as your tmsng database is located? Are you using SQL authentication or Integrated Authentication? Does that user have the appropriate access rights to the SQL server per the documentation? Are you letting the installer create the db on the external server or are you manually creating it? Is the SQL Server Browser service running on the SQL server?

Dale, following are my answers to your questions:

is the installer detecting the same location as your tmsng database is located?

Yes.

Are you using SQL authentication or Integrated Authentication?

SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode.

Does that user have the appropriate access rights to the SQL server per the documentation?

Yes (Its the same as at TMS).

Are you letting the installer create the db on the external server or are you manually creating it?

Tried both ways, geting the same error.

Is the SQL Server Browser service running on the SQL server?

No

Again, a wireshark trace shows, that the TMPE installer tries to connect to SQL server via UDP.

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for the answers. Just a few more:

Is TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocol both on? Meaning it's strange to me that it's trying UDP since the installer preference is TCP/IP

Can you try using SQL authentication and see if that works, i.e. to see if it's similar to Kjetil's issue? For example, is it possible to use the SA account?

You also state you tried both ways regarding the creation of the db on the SQL server. However, I assume you've removed the manually built tmspe db on the SQL or are you simply tyring to do it the manual way?

Please turn on the SQL Server Browser service on the SQL server.

And I'm assuming this is an external SQL server? If so, what type and flavor? And I assume it's completely updated?

Below are the answer to your additional questions:

Is TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocol both on?

TCP Protocol is on Named Pipes is off.

Can you try using SQL authentication and see if that works, i.e. to see if it's similar to Kjetil's issue? For example, is it possible to use the SA account?

No success with both authentication methods.

You also state you tried both ways regarding the creation of the db on the SQL server. However, I assume you've removed the manually built tmspe db on the SQL or are you simply tyring to do it the manual way?

Removed the manually created db, without success

Please turn on the SQL Server Browser service on the SQL server.

Its now on, without success

And I'm assuming this is an external SQL server? If so, what type and flavor? And I assume it's completely updated?

Microsoft SQL Server Standard Edition (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows NT 6.0 (6002)

(all service packs and fixes are applied).

Thanks

Juergen

Hi Juergen,

As suggested by Kjetil earlier, I'd open a case with the TAC since this now going beyond the scope of this forum. However, it doesn't appear as though this is similar to what Kjetil experienced within his lab. Therefore, that's why I suggest taking the appropriate support route so that if there is something amiss here either with the product or environment, it will be properly tracked and documented.

cheers,

Dale

Dale: never underestimate the force of the forum! :-)

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Your described installation method is the way I'm trying to do so.

What makes me confuse is the error message Martin Koch is announcing - I'm running in the same.

TMS connects fine the the TMSNG db running on an external SQL server, TMSPE wont connect to that SQL server.

ThinK, I found the problem. A wireshark trace shows that the TMSPE installer tries to connect vi UDP. The deployment guide stated that default connection protocol is TCP/IP. How can I change this?

Hi Juergen!

Ah, yes, forgot to give a feedback here :-)

For me the fix was that I specified the port manually in the address field like:

127.0.0.1:1433

or what ever you have set up as the ip/port it listens to on TCP.

I also had disabled named pipes:

Addon: if I remember it right you also see a syn to 1434 or something like that, so not sure why the instller behaves like that)

Good success and please rate the message using the stars below!

Hi Martin,

thats the tip of the Thread

Adding port number to the SQL Server address solved the issue.

@cisco_engineers: Please fix this issue in the next TMS Provisioning extension versions.

Thanks a lot.

Juergen

Hi,

Are you using windows authentication when connecting to the external database server? If so, please open a TAC case. I have seen this problem in my lab, but I suspected it was because of AD or network problems in my enviorment.

Regards,

Kjetil

Hi Kjetil,

Just asked that question above In addition, it would be good to know if he does have TCP/IP and/or Name Pipes protocol enabled and/or whether he's using windows authentication vs. SQL authenticaiton...meaning and if it is similar to what you experienced within your lab...he should be able to connect with SQL Authentication. Therefore, let's clarify that first and then we'll move on

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Was the sql browser service running as this will help resolve the port that the sql server is listning too? If the port is the problem.

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I must say a thread with that many messages (here >70) is not getting easier to read, ... ... ...

Apologies for the late reply guys but completely agree with Martin, it's getting a bit messy here

And Martin, I am a big fan of forums except when they get like this...meaning the subject of the thread is "TMSPE is out" but we're getting into "troubleshooting" a specific issue...meaning it probably would of been better to spin this off onto a new thread. However, I'm not an owner or moderator of these forums so I can't do that.

In any case, and to possibly conclude this part of the thread,  I'm happy to hear that Juergen resolved his issue by adding the port number after the SQL Server name/address. However, that shouldn't of been necessary if the SQL Server Browser Service was on...meaning that is what the SQL Server Browser service is all about. For example, here's a good overview that I found on what the SQL Server Browser sevice does:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1946/overview-of-the-sql-server-browser-service/

And for just some additional info concerning default instance on an SQL Server versus named instances on an SQL Server and how they relate to the SQL Server Browser service:

• When installing the default instance of SQL Server, the SQL Server Browser is disabled, as it isn’t needed.
  • When installing a named instance of SQL Server, the SQL Server Browser is enabled, as it is responsible for binding the connection to the TCP port the named instance uses. Note that named instances of SQL Server use dynamic TCP ports, so running the SQL Server Browser is highly recommended (to say the least).

With that said concerning this service and how it relates to default and named instances, it is unusual to see this when dealing with SQL Server...meaning again, that is what this service is all about. In addition, and as named instances use dynamic TCP ports, entering “servername:port” in the connection string could break TMSPE the next time the database engine service is restarted, as the database engine service could be assigned a different TCP port.

In short, and IMHO, I would believe a large amount of SQL DB Admins would want to utilize the SQL Server Browser service and forget all about ports, and this is what I would recommend as well.

cheers,

Dale