Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS 15.9 install, unable to connect to external SQL Server

aaronmwu1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am receiving the error "Could not connect to SQL server:Named Pipes Provider:Could not open a connection to SQL Server" during the installation page of TMS.  Here's my current lab environment:

TMS Server:

2016 Server 64 bit

.Net 4.7.1

SQL Native Client 11

SQL Server:

2016 Server 64 bit

SQL 2017 Express 64 bit

I've tried enabling and disabling Named Pipes, TCP is enabled on the SQL Manager. Turned off firewall rules on both servers. Not sure what else could be the problem.

Thanks,

Aaron

4 Replies 4

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If Cisco TMS and SQL Server are hosted on different servers, SQL Native Client 11 must be installed on Cisco TMS Server before installation or upgrade of Cisco TMS. Ensure that Native Client 13.0.1601.5 or later version is installed (you didn't mention which version you were running).

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

I forgot to the put the version but I do have that version installed for the Native Client.  I've actually figured out the issue and have TMS installed.  I had to launch the SQL Configuration Manager, under SQL Server Network Configuration, click on Protocols for SQLEXPRESS, double click TCP/IP, click IP Adress tab, scroll down to IPAII and set TCP/IP to 1433.  

Thanks,

Aaron

Port 1433 is the default port for SQL Server, so it should have been set that way already unless for some reason you had changed it previously.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thank you for this solution.

Also, wanted to add, to make sure on the "Protocol" TAB, the "Enable" value is "Yes"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: