Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Agent diagnostics Alert Message

Dear Support Community,

There is a request to push the "Fix Button", but it can't be found. In previous TMS Version the error appeared from time to time but the button was there, currently SW 13.2.1 is installed.

Do you have any idea here, please see the screenshot.

kind regards

christian

11 Replies 11

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

what happens if you rerun the

* failed diagnostics

* all diagnostics

As it states that it did not finish the task, any communication errors on the link in between the TMS and VCS?

How high is the load on the VCS? (there was the leap-second bug which generates some trouble with

some VCSs). In doubt could you try to:

* reboot the vcs

* refresh the vcs in the tms system navigator (tms>systems>navigator > vcs-e > settings > force-refresh

* rerun all the provsioning diagnostics.

Please rate this answer using the stars below!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Dear Support Community,

Meanwhile the message is gone.

After The reboot of the VCS there is following alert:

"#15867 - Configuration warning - The VCS is running in a legacy TMS Agent mode; you are recommended to switch your system to use a different mode"

Could you please tell me what this message mean and how to fix this?

kind regards

christian

It means you are using legacy TMS Agent mode which uses OpenDS, instead of the new Provisioning Extension method (TMSPE) which Cisco recommends everybody to upgrade to as OpenDS will disappear completely in a major, upcoming TMS version release.

See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tmspe/release_note/Cisco_TMSPE_release_notes_1-0.pdf

for more information re TMSPE.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Dear Support Community,

How to migrate and what is happening to the MOVI Users which are currently registered?

kind regards

christian

First of all, you do not need to upgrade, the legacy provisioning mode still works and I prefer it because the

new one lacks changes for specific users.

What I would suggest you to do is to ack the alert, as this warning can be ignored

and to read the TMSPE deployment guide and this forum (there are some postings about that)

and then decide what by today brings you a benefit.

Best would be if you have a lab where you can try it out.

Unless you do not do any changes (adding / deleting / changing  accounts / settings)

you could also easily revert from TMSPE back to the legacy mode

"First of all, you do not need to upgrade, the legacy provisioning mode still works and I prefer it because the

new one lacks changes for specific users."

True, but you'll have to migrate to TMSPE in the not so distant future unless you don't want to upgrade TMS

/jens

The the future is the future and now is now.

When the time is right, there will be hopefully an update for TMSPE as well.

But for now at least we are much better of with the legac deployment model,

like I wrote earlier, everyone shall decide themselfs, but this shall not be based

on a blinking not really helpful alert but by missing/gaining functionality.

Jens: what do you see as advantages?

TMPSE is a lot faster when searching for contacts, more stable and it allows me to move groups around if I need to, instead of having to delete the group, then recreate it in its new position in the hierarchy.

Diagnostics is also a lot simpler - and quicker to run.

More info available on the VCS-C as far as users, assigned phonebooks, devices etc are concerned.

I.e. you can look up a speficic user and see which phonebooks this user has been provisioned with.

I thought I needed the ability to provision individual users, but as it turns out, I can put all of these "special" users in one group which I then assign a different template to.

So I was in the end very happy with TMSPE, the more I worked with it, the more I liked it - and it was all working very well; until we migrated TMS from the old, physical 2005 server to a new 2008 r2 VM server.

I can't, at the moment, provision any new users or devices (iPad), Cisco is working on the problem and it has now gone all the way to R&D, so hopefully we can get this fixed sooner rather than later.

/jens

Oh, yes, the capability of not being able to provision new users anymore must really be the reason for me to go with it, .....

And sure, if diagnostics only shows green lights it is faster, but like you see you do not seem to get any

info for your issue, so if its not helpful, it does not matter how fast it is ;-)

Let us know what the issue with your setup was. I have some ideas what could have gone wrong.

The early days OpenDS was really horrible and unstable, but I must say with the latest versions we never had

any issues, and we run a quite complex setup with clustered and non clustered vcs-cs and -es all running

the tms agent, findme and provisioning.

The intention of TMSPE is great, but for me it feels more like a beta software, ...

There are also some chances which are missed, like adding a behind firewall mode,

by today the vcs and tms need to be reachable transparent in both directions.

Just picture a branch office with a VCS-C (maybe even running on an ISR router) behind nat

connecting to the centralized (on public ip) TMS and VCS-E.

Think that would have been great.

Also a better handling of the configuration templates, this really ends up in a mess without

the capability to automatically inherit settings. I also dislike the "copy" feature, it should be

better copy in the other direction with the capability to overwrite existing settings, ...

Btw, iPad provisioning works fine for us and the legacy mode :-p

The problems I'm having is not caused by TMSPE, this is something completely different, and it looks like an authentication issue between the VCS-C and IIS somewhere - what's causing it is the big mystery, but it's certainly not caused by the TMSPE application itself.

As I said, I had no problems at all with provisioning on the old server, both OpenDS and TMSPE, but this new server won't play nice with either - so I wouldn't let my current provisioning issues stop anybody from upgrading to TMSPE.

I much prefer TMSPE to OpenDS after having the chance to getting to know it before server migration.

See

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3694428

for a bit more info re my issue.

/jens

Read the documentation; TMS release notes, admin guide and TMSPE documentation.

There is also a number of threads in this forum about TMSPE which yo can easily find by entering TMSPE in the "Search the Support Community" search box.

/jens

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: