Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS and VCS integration and licensing

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Having some frustrations with TMS and VCS.

We originally had a VCS StarterPack Express, 5x EX-90 and 5x PrecisionHD cameras. We wanted to bring in TMS so we could push phone-books to the EX-90s. I did some research and found out that TMS didn't play well with VCS StarterPack.

Our Cisco partner said we could upgrade the VCS StarterPack to a full VCS control and get TMS as part of that. TMS should play well with our endpoints and all SHOULD be good.

I got my licenses and installed TMS. Got my EX-90s imported and got phonebooks pushed to them. Now I am trying to upgrade my VCS to a VCS control.

I added the option Keys that came with the upgrade SKU and they did not include FindMe. Now comes my issue.

My TMS doesn't have the TMSPE option on it. Do I care? Can I still provision Movi Users? How?

My VCS doesn't have FindMe option on it. Do I care?

The question to both of those depends on whether or not I can still use Movi. I have a few Movi users provisioned in our VCS StarterPack system and I need to maintain that functionality. The various guides i have found on Cisco's site all reference the FindMe option key.

VCS option Keys X7.1:

10 Non Traversal Calls, 105 Traversal Calls, 2500 Registrations, Encryption, Interworking, Device Provisioning.

TMS option Keys 13.2:

Cisco TelePresence Movi (100 users)    

Systems (10 systems)

9 Replies 9

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume TMS is currently run with legacy TMS agent as provisioning service.

Once you migrate provisioning service to TMS-PE, then license should update to “ Cisco TMS Provisioning Extension (100 active clients/devices)” automatically.

No FindMe option is require for running provisioning service with TMS/VCS deployment.

Of course, you may continue to use legacy TMS agent as provisioning service and current described software license will enable Movi provisioning.

However Cisco recommend to migrate provisioning service to TMS-PE.

How do I migrate from Legacy TMS to TMS-PE?

Hi

Take a look at this document as this will explain in more detail on how to deploy TMSPE. TMS Agent legacy is basically the old way of running provisioning. User data (movi users) are managed on the TMS and replicated to the VCS so that movi users can log in.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tmspe/install_guide/Cisco_TMSPE_Deployment_Guide_1-0.pdf

TMSPE works almost the same way but the backend database is SQL now and not using OpenDS and is a little bit simpler to setup and much more stable. The document should tell you how to do this.

Since you where using Starterpack you where managing the user accounts on the VCS but now since you have upgraded to a control the user management is done on the TMS but the data will be polled by the VCS so that the data you are managing is "on the VCS" if you think of it like that...

Its quite a few details to this so I think its best that you read through the document and if you have any specific questions to this we would be happy to answer.

/Magnus

Ok thanks. I guess I'm still confused about licensing. Isn't the TMSPE another license I need to purcahse? I listed my applied option keys above. Do I have the pre-requesites to use this?

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you have. As tomonori said it will translate to a provisioning extension license as soon as tmspe is activated in tms

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The movi licence to be specific.

Ok, making progress. The license did upgrade. Thanks for the insight. Having an issue starting the service however...

When I try to manually start the TMSPE service on the server, I see this log message in TMS:

9/26/2012 2:41:20 PMThe  event failed to complete. Details: GET  http://localhost:8788/pb/sources/query?external_id=TMS_1 failed:: Unable  to connect to the remote server

On the server itself, the service dies right away with this error:

The TMS Provisioning Extension service terminated with service-specific error 1 (0x1).

Are there any logs I can look at that would give me any more clues as to what's going on?

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi the first error is normal, as it tries to synch the pb sources ones the service have been enabled.

Did you enable the provisioning mode to Provisioning Extension? If you go to tms server maintenance under admin tools in tms and download the logs from there you should find the provisioning extension logs there.

/Magnus

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Btw the first error goes away after the service have started properly (3-5 minutes after enable in tms)