cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS migration(upgrading and changing server)

Hi all,

We plan to migrate TMS 12.6.2 on Server 2003 R2 SP2 with SQL 2005 Express to TMS 13.2.2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit with SQL 2008 Express.

Server name(host name) and IP adrress are not same as old server's.

Are these procedures in Bold are correct?

1.Install TMS13.2.2 on the new server and uninstall it.(To make SQL instance on the new server)

2.Backup "tmsng" on the old server after stopping all TMS services.

3.Back up customized files such as "C:\Program Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\CiscoSettings".

4.Back up "*.jdb" files. (For now we use legacy TMS Agent. )

5.Put backup files to the new server.

6.Type SQL command on the new server to restore SQL Database.

Should we use SQL commnad for SQL 2008?

7.Reinstall TMS13.2.2 on the new server selecting a custom install and specifying the existing database(tmsng).

8.Stop TMS Agent service on the new server and put "*.jdb" files to  %OPENDS_HOME%\db\userRoot.

9.Start TMS Agent service on the new server.

10.Run TMS Tools Utility on the new server.

・ TMS Tools > Utilities > Change Users Domain 

・ Old Domain Name: <old TMS server host name> 

If old server's name is "OLDTMS" and it doesn't use AD or Windows domain, should this be <OLDTMS/workgroup>?

・ New Domain: <new TMS server host name>

If new server's name is "NEWTMS" and it doesn't use AD or Windows domain, should this be <NEWTMS/workgroup>?

11. Post installation(TMS Agent Settings and so on...)

Best Regards,

Kotaro Hashimoto

19 Replies 19

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kotaro

1. Install SQL Express 2008 on the new server (download from microsoft).  No need to install TMS first OK

2. Disable replication on all the VCS'S! Backup "tmsng" on the old server after stopping all TMS services. OK

3. Go to Admin Tools --> Configuration --> TMSAgent Settings. Do a TMSAgent backup here. OK

4. Locate the TMSAgent backup located in C:\Program Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\Backup and move this to the new server. OK

5.Back up customized files such as "C:\Program Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\CiscoSettings". Optional, not needed

4.Back up "*.jdb" files. (For now we use legacy TMS Agent. ) Use the TMSAgent backup from step 3

5.Put backup files to the new server.

Or you can install SQL management studio and just restore the database from there (depending on how you like to do it, just make sure the database name is "tmsng".

7.Install TMS13.2.2 on the new server selecting a custom install and specifying the existing database(tmsng). The installer will detect the old database and upgrade it automatically. There is no way to specify the database name as the installer is hardcoded to select tmsng so this will go automatically. If the SQL is local you can also do a "Complete" installation, depending on if you want to specify file paths. 

8. Put the TMSAgent backup in the same location as before C:\Program Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\Backup on the new server and go to the TMSAgent settings and restore it from the dropdown list of backups.

9.Start TMS Agent service on the new server. No need

・ Old Domain Name:

If old server's name is "OLDTMS" and it doesn't use AD or Windows domain, should this be ?

・ New Domain:

If new server's name is "NEWTMS" and it doesn't use AD or Windows domain, should this be ?

The general answer to the users is that TMS is using windows authentication, so the user that has access to the New server will also have access to the TMS application but they need the correct permissions in the TMS application in order to utilize all the functionalities. You use the same accounts you use to access the server it self on the New server, don't use old credentials that does not exist on the new server, even if they exist in the old TMS database.

11. Post installation(TMS Agent Settings and so on...)

Hope this helps

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Thank you for your reply!

Let me ask some more questions.

1. Install SQL Express 2008 on the new server (download from microsoft).  No need to install TMS first OK

=>Unfortunately we have already installed and uninstalled TMS13.2.2 on the new server. Can we use it?

Or should we uninstall the SQL server and re-install it?

Or you can install SQL management studio and just restore the database from there (depending on how you like to do it, just make sure the database name is "tmsng".

=>We tried to restore tmsng using SQLMS but it failed (SQLMS couldn't read tmsng.bak).

So we will try SQL command. Should we use SQL command for SQL 2008, not for SQL 2005?

(even though the tmsng.bak is backup of SQL 2005 Express)

8. Put the TMSAgent backup in the same location as before C:\Program  Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\Backup on the new server and go to the  TMSAgent settings and restore it from the dropdown list of backups.

=>According to "Migrating TelePresence Management Suite (TMS) To New Server.pdf" Page10,  it says "*DO NOT YET ACCESS THE TMS PORTAL*", is there no problem if we access the TMS portal before we run TMS Tools Utililty?

・ Old Domain Name:

If old server's name is "OLDTMS" and it doesn't use AD or Windows domain, should this be ?

・ New Domain:

If new server's name is "NEWTMS" and it doesn't use AD or Windows domain, should this be ?

=>We use same user name "Administrator" and a workgroup "WORKGROUP" for both old and new TMS. But the name of the server changes from

OLDTMS to NEWTMS. You mean we don't have to run TMS Tools Utility in this case?

Tusen takk!

Kotaro Hashimoto 

=>Unfortunately we have already installed and uninstalled TMS13.2.2 on the new server. Can we use it?

Or should we uninstall the SQL server and re-install it?

No, it's fine you can use it. I just tried to emphasize that it was not nessecary but possible, yes, just more work.

Or  you can install SQL management studio and just restore the database  from there (depending on how you like to do it, just make sure the  database name is "tmsng".

=>We tried to restore tmsng using SQLMS but it failed (SQLMS couldn't read tmsng.bak).

So we will try SQL command. Should we use SQL command for SQL 2008, not for SQL 2005?

(even though the tmsng.bak is backup of SQL 2005 Express)

SQL 2008 should be backwards compatible with 2005, if you are restoring to a 2008 then you use the 2008 command. If it does not work I recommend that you download the SQL Management Studio 2008 Express and restore the database using this application on the new server.

8.  Put the TMSAgent backup in the same location as before C:\Program   Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\Backup on the new server and go to the   TMSAgent settings and restore it from the dropdown list of backups.

=>According  to "Migrating TelePresence Management Suite (TMS) To New Server.pdf"  Page10,  it says "*DO NOT YET ACCESS THE TMS PORTAL*", is there no  problem if we access the TMS portal before we run TMS Tools Utililty?

Well, the only thing I can see happen is that when you log in to the TMS a new user is added to TMS (the user you are currently logged in with). All the other users from the previous server you won't be able to authenticate with. This means if you have a default group with no privileges  that the new user you are logging in with will see "Access to TMS Denied". This can be worked around easily if you encounter this, however if your default group includes "Site Admin" then there should be no issues since then the user is admin by default anyway. The bottom line is that this is about old permissions from the old database.

・ Old Domain Name:

・ New Domain:

=>We use same user name "Administrator" and a workgroup "WORKGROUP"  for both old and new TMS. But the name of the server changes from

OLDTMS to NEWTMS. You mean we don't have to run TMS Tools Utility in this case?

I never did it, but the way I work with the databases is probably a little different. If you are not sure, I recommend that you follow the document as described. In my opinion its several ways of doing the migration and the document explains it in a certain way.

If the usernames are the same and the workgroup is the same then I don't think you will have any problems. If you do, just send me your e-mail and I will show you how to bypass the "Access to TMS denied".

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

I sent you my e-mail address.

Could you please let me know how to bypass the "Access to TMS denied" just in case?

Best Regads,

Kotaro Hashimoto

Hello,

I have the same issue with access denied in TMS web after upgrade+migration. Please can you send me instruction ? Thanks

eric
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Magnus,

Can you also send me the procedure to bypass TMS Access Is Denied?

Thank you,
Eric

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Eric

I sent you a private message.

/Magnus

How do you bypass the Access to TMS is Denied Message?

Hi Magnus

I am facing this problem too.Can you sent me the message?

Hi Magnus

I am experiencing a similar issue with TMS Access Denied after following the migration guide and then changing the domain to match the new server hostname.  If you could send me details on how to resolve this that would be great. 

Can you also send me the procedure to bypass TMS Access Is Denied?

Regards

I am having the same problem can you let me know how to fix this please

Nevermind I got in

Magnus,

I am experiencing a similar issue with TMS Access Denied after following the migration guide and then changing the domain to match the new server hostname.  If you could send me details on how to resolve this that would be great.

-Adam

If the server was in a domain before or had a different hostname you can try to use firefox

and use oldhostname\username or olddomain\username to log in.

The other option would be to modify the user in the SQL database.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: