cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS move to Windows Server 2016

fwadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Our current environment: TMS v.15.4.0 hosted on a Windows Server 2008 R2; a remote SQL database server 2008 (a separate server) hosting the TMS database. We also have TMSXE (v.5.4.0) running on a separate Windows Server 2008 R2. In summary, there are three separate servers - TMS, SQL database server and TMSXE.

We plan to upgrade TMS to 15.6.1 (the latest version). Looks like TMS v.15.6.1 is no longer supported on Windows Server 2008 R2. Based on its release note, it supports Windows Server 2012 and 2016 (2016 is recommended).  I have asked our server team to build a new Windows Server 2016 for me, but I am not very clear in regard to the move from its current server to the new server. I don't have a test environment so I'd like to ask if anyone has done this in your environment and anything that I should be aware of when perform the move.

Do I have to install the same version 15.4.0 on the new server and then upgrade to 15.6.1? Do I just simply install TMS15.6.1 on the new server and then point to the existing TMS database during the installation? What if the option keys on the existing TMS? Do I need a release key when I install TMS 15.6.1 on the new Windows Server 2016?

Thanks a lot for your help!

24 Replies 24

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's as simple as installing TMS on the new server and during the installation pointing it to the external SQL server where the tmsng database is.  Not only does TMS 15.6.1 doesn't support Windows Server 2008, it also doesn't support SQL 2008 either, so you'll also need to upgrade your SQL server.  Refer to the TMS 15.6.1 Install Guide for the prerequisites before upgrading, it also contains section on moving TMS to a new server.

All data is stored in the database, this includes all release and options keys. If you have software packages installed on TMS for endpoint upgrades, you'll need to copy these over manually after the new TMS is installed.

Thanks for your response and the guide, Patrick.

Looks like we will have to move TMS to the new Windows Server 2016, and migrate the TMSNG database to a SQL Server 2016 at the same time ( in one change window). what is the proper order to do this? We want to keep the same IP and hostname on the new TMS server. However, the tmsng database will be migrate to a new server (new IP/hostname).

Should I move TMS to Windows Server 2016 first, confirm TMS works on the new server, and then move the database to a new SQL server 2016?  or should I migrate the database to a SQL server 2016 before installing TMS15.6.1 on the new Windows Server?

You should migrate the tmsng database first from SQL 2008 to 2016, then install TMS 15.6.1 on the Windows 2016 server and point it to the tmsng database, during install it will upgrade the database.  When you migrate the tmsng database, I'd turn off the old Windows 2008 server that TMS is installed on, and move the IP to the new Windows 2016 server, that way after you install TMS it will be good to go.

Thanks for your advice, Patrick.

Could you please review the steps below and advise if I have missed any?

1. shut down the old TMS server (2008 R2)

2. as we want to keep the same IP and hostname on the new TMS server (server 2016), we have to change the network configurations on the new Windows server 2016 to use the original IP/hostname.

3. once the new Windows server 2016 has got the original IP/hostname, ask our DBA to migrate "tmsng" to the new SQL Serer 2016.

3.1). take a backup of the TMSNG database from the existing SQL server 2008 using SQL Server     Management Studio

3.2).  Restore the back up to the new SQL server 2016 

4. Install TMS 15.6.1 on the new Windows Server 2016

4.1) Run the TMS15.6.1 installation file on the new server as administrator

4.2) Point to the new SQL server location

4.3) the Release and Option Keys dialog should now be displayed. Based on you, I don't need to fill in these fields as they would be auto-populated?

4.4) Network settings should be filled in automatically I guess.

5. Open the TMS web application and check that it works

Looks good! Something to keep in mind, if you happen to run into any issues and are unable to complete the migration to the new server, you can always power up the old TMS as a fallback, so keep it and it's tmsng database intact until you've completed the migration.

Hi Patrick

The new TMS server and new SQL server are not in the same data center ( we have two data centers located in two different cities) Would this be a problem?  In addition, the "tmsng" will be migrated to a shared SQL 2016 environment (hosting other databases as well for other applications), would this cause any issue? Thanks a lot for your previous response , that helps a lot!

Install guide says the latency between the TMS server and the SQL server must not exceed 20 ms.
It's fine to have the database in a shared SQL server and not uncommon, so long as the server has enough resources to host all the databases.

Other than the latency, please keep in mind that the Windows Server hosting the SQL instance for the tmsng database and the Windows Server hosting TMS is configured for the same timezone, and changing the timezone once TMS is installed is not supported. To be 100% clear, if the current TMS and SQL servers are in EST, the new SQL and TMS servers must be in EST. This must hold true for all SQL nodes is in a cluster, and all TMS nodes, if running redundancy.

Hello Patrick and Fwadmin

I have Endpoints administered via CUCM and I'm using TMS only for providing for phone books. Isn't possible to have also old Server up and runing during migration process if we migrate to new a server with different IP address?

Am Asking that because i wouldn't like to sechedule an maintenance window for moving.

@fwadmin,

Have you already moved to TMS 15.6?  Any advices?

Regards,

Regards,

MC 

@fwadmin, I forgot, but here is a guide you can follow: TMS Server Migration Procedures.

@etmarcof, you can follow the same guide, just don't shutdown the old server, simply copy the SQL database and install TMS on a new server with a different IP and hostname, when you're ready you can either shutdown the old server to bring over the the IP and hostname, or simply update all your system and point them to the new server.

Hi Patrick,

I already saw the the guide. They always talk in stopping services first in old server...

My idea was trying to have both tms up and runing and then in cucm do a bulk upgrade of external phone books url.

Regards,

MC

I will perform the migration tonight and provide an update after. Thanks!

Hi Patrick

I'd like to confirm the following regarding the database settings

once I enter the new SQL server IP address or hostname ( do I need specify the database instance name such as "hostname\instance name", or just enter the IP address?), and username and password , would it detect the "tmsng" database on the new SQL server? I want to ensure that it detect the database and then upgrade it but not install new database on the remote SQL server.

database setting.jpg

Hi Patrick

I have a question about database settings during the installation of TMS15.6.1. As mentioned earlier, we will migrate the database to the new SQL server first and then run the TMS15.6.1 installer on the new TMS server (ep the network configurations the same on the new server)

when the Database Settings window appears do I just enter the IP address or hostname of the new SQL server as shown below in the screenshot below (Do I need to specify the database instance name at this step like "database sever host name\instance name"?), and then enter username and password. I want to make sure that it would detect the existing tmsng database on the new SQL server and then upgrade it instead of installing new database.

database setting.jpg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: