cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS move to Windows Server 2016

fwadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Our current environment: TMS v.15.4.0 hosted on a Windows Server 2008 R2; a remote SQL database server 2008 (a separate server) hosting the TMS database. We also have TMSXE (v.5.4.0) running on a separate Windows Server 2008 R2. In summary, there are three separate servers - TMS, SQL database server and TMSXE.

We plan to upgrade TMS to 15.6.1 (the latest version). Looks like TMS v.15.6.1 is no longer supported on Windows Server 2008 R2. Based on its release note, it supports Windows Server 2012 and 2016 (2016 is recommended).  I have asked our server team to build a new Windows Server 2016 for me, but I am not very clear in regard to the move from its current server to the new server. I don't have a test environment so I'd like to ask if anyone has done this in your environment and anything that I should be aware of when perform the move.

Do I have to install the same version 15.4.0 on the new server and then upgrade to 15.6.1? Do I just simply install TMS15.6.1 on the new server and then point to the existing TMS database during the installation? What if the option keys on the existing TMS? Do I need a release key when I install TMS 15.6.1 on the new Windows Server 2016?

Thanks a lot for your help!

24 Replies 24

Hi,

I've just terminated my moving i only just introduce ip address of new SQL server and user e password.

Regards

MC 

You just need to specify the SQL address, and account details that has access to the tmsng database. No need to enter the tmsng database name, as the installer is hardcoded to use this database name.

TMS Install and Upgrade Guide (15.6.1)

successfully migrated TMS and the database to new servers last night.  The installation of TMS15.6.1 on the new Windows Server 2016 was simple. The only thing you need to specify is the new database server's DNS name or IP address (migrate the TMS database to the new SQL server 2016 before installing TMS15.6.1 on the new server), and the service account and password used for TMS to talk to the database server. the rest information is auto-populated (Release key, options keys, server settings, email settings, etc.) as it is stored in the database. You do need to manually enter the Encryption key ( you can copy the key from the old TMS server using the TMS Tools).

I run into a problem during testing. I couldn't book video conference in Outlook (booking in TMS directly worked but not in Outlook). Logged into TMSXE server and checked the TMS connection details using the TMSXE Configuration tool. I got an error "Cannot connect to Cisco TMS using the details below" (I confirmed that the TMS server address, username, password and domain were correct). After some checking, I unchecked "Use HTTP" under the Cisco TMS tab on TMSXE Configuration and then saved again. It worked, and I was able to schedule video conference in Outlook. I still don't know why I need to uncheck that checkbox for TMSXE to connect to TMS.

Glad you were able to migrate the server! I forgot about the database encryption key.
Are you able to navigate to TMS using HTTP?
Is TMS configured to use either Medium-High or High for Communication Security in TMS Tools? TMS can only communicate using HTTPS with either of these.

yes, I can access TMS using HTTP and HTTPS. We use a self-signed cert issued by TMS itself for HTTPS connection. Communication Security is set up Medium.

so I guess TMSXE couldn't reach the new TMS server through HTTPS  when I run into the problem?  I unchecked Use HTTP under Cisco TMS using TMSXE Configuration, which resolved the issue. what I need to do to make HTTPS works between TMSXE and TMS? 

...what I need to do to make HTTPS works between TMSXE and TMS? 

According to your description, you unchecked "Use HTTP", which means communication between TMS and TMSXE is using HTTPS. So, it is working like you want, it is using HTTPS.

If you really mean why can't it use HTTP, I'm not sure to be honest, did you include the protocol http in front of the server address, as this should be left off.

Hi Patrick

Yes, you are right, To correct. got the following error when "Use HTTP" was checked.

2-15-2018 7-39-33 PM.jpg

After unchecked the checkbox and resaved, it started working.

Under Server Address, I use the FQDN of the TMS server. I also tried IP address of TMS and it didn't work either. Not sure why HTTP doesn't work.

I'm about to do the migration, and Cisco recommend me to upgrade upgrade the SQL to 2016, but keeping the version 15.4 once is completed, then upgrade to 15.6, the password for the sa user, should be the same as the actual database has.

Hi guys,

thanks for this useful topic. we will soon be moving our TMS and TMSPE from 2012 to 2016 server. it has a separate SQL server.  Unfortunately I cannot use the same hostname for the new server, I can use the same IP range. Where do I have to take care when i'm using another hostname?

thanks.

If all your endpoints point to the hostname/IP, then they'll need to be updated (either on the endpoint themselves for VCS registered endpoints, or in CUCM if using TMS phonbooks for CUCM registred endpoints). In addition, you'll need to go to Administrative Tools > Configuration > Network Settings in TMS and update the IP and/o hostname.

One way to make the change easier is to make a new DNS alias that points to the hostname (e.g. tms.domain.com points to old-hostname.domain.com). Re-point all your endpoints etc to the alias, then when you build the new server you can just change the DNS alias to point to the new-hostname.domain.com.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: