Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Phone book - CUCM source - How is this done

Robert McAffery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know there is a new feature in TMS 14.1 onwards that allows you to create a phone book from a CUCM source.  Has anyone done this? I can’t find any guides or info on this.  It does seem thought that TMS has to ‘manage’ the CUCM.  That sounds a bit strange.  That would also take a TMS licence up too.  What information do you need? What account do you need to add CUCM to TMS?  Is there any impact on CUCM?

Thanks,

Robert

6 Replies 6

Cian OSullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Robert,

I'm looking at the capabilities of TMS at the moment myself and looks like you need to add CUCM first as a System before it can be used as a Phone Book source.  I haven't tried though but here's the steps from the TMS 14.3.1 admin guide,

Preparing the Cisco Unified CM:

Activate these services on the Cisco Unified CM node(s) you want to add to Cisco TMS before you start:

• Cisco AXL Web Service on the Cisco Unified CM node.
  • Cisco RIS Data Collector on the Cisco Unified CM Publisher node. n
  • Cisco CTIManager must be active on at least one of the nodes inside the Cisco Unified CM cluster.

See Cisco Unified Serviceability Configuration Guide for instructions on service activation.

Follow this procedure in Cisco Unified CM:

1. Create an application user for Cisco TMS following the steps described in Cisco Unified Communication Manager Configuration Guide for the Cisco TelePresence System. Make sure to:

• Save the credentials for the Cisco TMS initialization procedure that follows.
  • Assign all the rooms that you plan to use to the application user you create.
  • Assign all telepresence units to this user profile. The MAC Address of each unit and shared phone must be added to the user profile. Adding an IP phone associated with the CTS to the application user is not necessary.
  • Add the "Standard CTI Secure Connection" group to the application user to secure Cisco TMS. (This step is optional.)

2. Create a user group in Cisco Unified CM for Cisco TMS.

3. Assign the following roles to this user group:

• Standard AXL API Access
  • Standard CTI Enabled
  • Standard SERVICEABILITY
  • Standard CCM Admin Users
  • Standard RealtimeAndTraceCollection

4. Add the above application user to the newly created user group.

I would then try adding the CUCM Publisher as a Sytem using IP or DNS.  The Admin guide doesn't quite make sense at this point and loops but I think this is the only sensible way.  If that works there is a different procedure to add endpoints registered from CUCM to TMS,

Preparing to add endpoints:

Cisco TMS support for Cisco Unified CM-registered systems relies on a special identifier for each system type being present in Cisco TMS. Identifiers for new endpoints will not be immediately available in Cisco TMS due to diverging release cycles. An updated list of supported systems is available on the Extended Settings tab for Cisco Unified CM in Navigator.

You can verify that your systems are supported as follows:

1. Go to Systems > Navigator and locate the Cisco Unified CM you just added.

2. Go to Settings > Extended Settings.

3. Make sure that all the endpoints you want to add are on the list of supported system types displayed on this tab.

For more information on how Cisco Unified CM-registered systems are supported in Cisco TMS, see How endpoints are managed by Cisco TMS [p.56].

CTS and TX endpoints

The endpoints must already have been added to the Cisco Unified CM and configured with the same Directory Number as their associated phones as detailed in Cisco Unified Communication Manager Configuration Guide for the Cisco TelePresence System.

To prepare the systems, follow the steps below in Cisco Unified CM:

1. For each endpoint:

a. Go to Device > Phone and click the endpoint's device name.

b. Assign the same DN (Directory Number) as the IP phone that is associated with this endpoint.

c. At the bottom of the Device Information section, select Allow Control of Device from CTI.

d. In the Product Specific Configuration Layout section, enter a dummy email address in the Room Name field.  This      is a mandatory item but any email address can be used.

e.  In the Directory Number Information section of Directory Number Configuration, select Allow Control of Device      from CTI.

f.  Set the field SSH AdminLife to 0 to prevent the command-line interface password from expiring. Cisco TMS uses      this password to set up calls.

2.  For each IP phone device that is associated to a telepresence device, select Allow Control of Device from CTI at the bottom of the Device Information section.

Endpoints running TE and TC software

Endpoints running TE and TC software must already have been added to the Cisco Unified CM as detailed in the document Cisco TelePresence Administering TC Endpoints on CUCM8.6.

If an endpoint has previously been managed by Cisco TMS, you must purge it from the database before re-adding it as a Cisco Unified CM-registered endpoint. See Purge Systems [p.143].

For each endpoint follow these steps in Cisco Unified CM:

Cisco TMS Administrator Guide (14.3.1) Page 74 of 342

Adding and managing systems

Adding systems

1. Go to Device > Phone and search for the device name corresponding to the telepresence endpoint.

2. At the bottom of the Product Specific Configuration Layout section, ensure that Web Access and SSH Access are set to Enabled.

Adding the systems

Cisco Unified CM must be added to Cisco TMS before you can add the endpoints, following these steps:

1. In Systems > Navigator go to the folder where you want to add the endpoints.

2. Click Add Systems.

3. Go to the From List tab.

4. Click Unified CM.

5. Select the endpoints you want to add.

6. Click Next.

7. Click Finish Adding Systems.

Let me know if this helps, wouldn't mind giving it a go as well.

Cheers

Does this require licenses both in CUCM and TMS?

TMS needs to be able to add CUCM as a managed system, so TMS requires a system license to do so, it's the same type of license that is needed to add endpoints etc into TMS.

Thanks for the response. So there is a TMS license used for CUCM plus one for every device that is registered to CUCM?

Can't find any documentation on it, but I believe so.  Just as if you were adding directly managed endpoints, VCS, MCU, TelePresence Servers, etc.  If it gets added into TMS, it consumes a system license.

Thanks. We're moving our endpoints to CUCM and just haven't come up with a way to divide the CUCM corporate directory into some sort of folder system where endpoints would only have other endpoints in their directory. Looks like TMS is not the answer. Thanks again for the information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: