cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Phonebook: Howto specify preferred protocol

Juergen Hornung
Level 1
Level 1

Following Scenario, have at TMS Jabber Users configured.

If I setup a phone book with source "Cisco TMS Provisioning Directory" and specify that Jabber users I can see at "View Contacts" H.323 and SIP Protocol for contacting those Jabber users.

How can I specify preferred protocol and how can I enable only one of those protocols?

20 Replies 20

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jourgen

What you see in there is the findme address which is one H323 and one SIP address. When TMS pushes out the phonebook the endpoint will choose the best protocol. I.e other jabber clients will only see the sip address. But H323 only endpoints will see the H323 one. Its like this for findme to work as expected with both protocols to simplify things. The vcs interworks where its needed. You cannot disable one of them, its both or nothing. Practically it does not have much to say to have one of each pther than its simpler.

If you disable the video address pattern all users have to login to generate a phonebook entry which will be sip only.

You can also manually create a phonebook with the protocols you want.
But thats timeconsuming based on the number of entries :)

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Magnus,

let the endpoint choose the best protocol can be a very expensive solution

(You know, that non-traversal calls are much more cheaper than traversal ones)

Let me explain my setup an intention:

We have a VCS mainly used for Jabber Clients connect each other and connect to MCUs (4500) and

Cisco Telepresence C-Codecs (this works fine)

Now the C-Codecs should also dial the Jabber Clients via SIP. I tried this and it failed because the preferred

protocol is H.323.

Interesting aspect: If I try to dial the Jabber Client from the C-Codecs Webside, it works because the preferred protocol

is SIP!

Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Another question, is it possible to show in a phonebook only Jabber clients that are active?

Thanks

Juergen

Hi Juergen

TMS sends the phonebook entries to the endpoint and the endpoint will by default trying to call the entry on the preferred protocol. I understand you use both H323 and SIP in your environment and you basically want the Endpoint to be smart enough to dial with SIP protocol when a Jabber client is called and H323 when another C-codec is called?

For one thing if you do not need to use H323 you can disable it or make the endpoint prefer SIP.

Else another solution would be to setup your Active Directory with SIP addresses per user (Jabber users) and create an Active directory phonebook which holds exactly 1 SIP address per user (the AD phonebook import should be equal to the AD import to the provisioning directory). This is one way to work around this. If you don't have lync you have to add the SIP attribute to Active Directory as this is not included by default but will be there automatically if you have setup Lync.

For your last question: No, considering you have disabled the video address pattern (findme address) and you start to login with jabber users, these users will start to have devices linked to them, It is these devices that will represent a phonebook entry so therefore these entries will not be populates until a user has at least logged in once. These entries are pure SIP. Once the users have logged out the device still sticks and is not removed from the phonebook. As you already know, presence is used to identify if the users are active or not but that does not help the codecs

/Magnus

TMS sends the phonebook entries to the endpoint and the endpoint will by default trying to call the entry on the preferred protocol. I understand you use both H323 and SIP in your environment and you basically want the Endpoint to be smart enough to dial with SIP protocol when a Jabber client is called and H323 when another C-codec is called?

Thats exactly that what I want to do.

But the endpoint must not be smart, I need "a flag" (Jabber provosioning, phonebook) for providing the preferred calling protocol. Can't be believe that this is not possible...

Much is possible, its just a matter of implementing it. It sounds like a feature request as if you are using findme the prov phonebook will generate a H323 and SIP entry and if the endpoint have H323 pref then it will use the H323 address. There are users out there that want it to be like this as well and it is working well. But for this functionality that you want where you have more control for example in TMS to flag it so that the endpoint identifies this to use SIP only it has to be a feature request.

/Magnus

One note, I don't have findme enabled! (Could that fix this problem?)

Regards

Juergen

Even with FindMe enabled it will still generate 2 addresses (h323 and SIP) so that you can still populate the phonebooks for simplicity. If you do not type anything in the Video Address Pattern and just leave the Device Pattern filled in then you will only get SIP entries as I mentioned.

/Magnus

Findme is disabled and I got 2 entries: SIP and H.323.

I don't see any Movi provisioning setting "Video Address", can you give me some more details, please?

Thanks

Juergen

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify, are we talking TMSPE here? And what TMS version? I'm assuming it is TMSPE but just would like to clarify that before make any comments

Dale

TMS 14.1.1 is used.

Juergen

14.1.1 you are definately using TMSPE.

In the Systems --> Provisioning --> Users

Check the group and you will see a "Video Address Pattern". This is what is generating H323 and SIP entries.

/Magnus

Thanks Juergen, so yes, this has to be TMSPE

And as Magnus says, the Video Adddress Pattern is what is generating those entries in the Provisioning Directory PB Source and subsequentely into the PB when you associate the PB Source with the PB. Therefore, and since your not using FM, then you can disable FM in the Provisioning Extension Settings (the PE service will need to be restarted after this is done) and then you'll clear this Video Address Pattern. Note that the UI will complain but that's ok. Next, and because your only using a Device Address Pattern now, your users will have logon to their devices so as to populate the db on the VCS which will subsequently update the tmspe db. Keep in mind that the PB service only syncs up between the VCS and TMSPE at a minimum of one hour. Therefore, and if testing this, you'll need to 'force a sync' between the VCS and TMSPE. Finally, you'll need to go into the Provisioning Directory PB Source that you've built and select 'Advanced Settings' and ensure 'Import Provisioned Devices' is selected. In fact, I would suggest deleting the source you've built and start from scratch after you've done what I've discussed.

/Dale

I deleted the entry and run into following error:

Findme is disabled (even no option key).

If I try to import TMS provisioned phonebook again I can see although SIP and H.323 entries.

As discussed in comments above, don't worry about that...but make sure you disable FM on the PE Settings page. After doing what I've described, delete the current PB Source you made and create a new one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: