Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Phonebook import from LDAP

petark
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are facing a problem calling from an endpoint using TMS phonebook LDAP source. 

Call is established but only audio. I can see call bandwidth request (768 kbps) and bandwidth allocated (64 kbps) - that make audio call only. 

On TMS phonebook source there is only IP phone entry with bandwidth allocated - Telephone.(see attached)

Is there a way to edit LDAP user so TMS can import SIP URI or H323? Maybe another solution?

Thanks,

Petar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is a little workaround to add the attribute so that SIP addresses can be populated on users and imported to the AD phonebook. This should be done on your own risk if you really want to implement this workaround since it's kind of dodgy to mess around with these attributes :)

1. Open CMD (make sure you have domain admin priveleges here) and run the command below

2. Open MMC and add Active Directory Schema as snap-in

3. Right click on "Attributes" and click Create attribute. Click continue on the warning.

fill in these values:

Make sure the Common name is exactly the same as in this box. Once added the LDAP Display name will automatically be populated. IMPORTANT: make sure the LDAP Display name is exactly the same as in the Description above else this won't work. Type in the X500 OID as shown in the box above, set the minimum 0 and maximum 454 and select syntax as Unicode String. Do not tick "multi-valued". Press OK.

Now open the attribute again (if MMC crashes, just start it again, you also might get an error but this should not matter). 

Make sure the tick boxes are the same as the screenshot.

4. Now open "Classes" in MMC and find the "user" class

Right click this class and click properties, select the attribute tab and Click "Add". Find the attribute you just created and add it. Apply and OK.

Now Open ADSI edit and locate your User

Right click your user and properties, find the attribute here and Edit it.

Now you should be able to import the SIP URI from AD.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Anthony Thomson
Level 3
Level 3

That's a pretty good question.  It only appears to accept the 'Default Bandwidth for Imported Contacts' setting for the SIP LDAP attribute.  Everything else seems to go to Telephone.

Here is a little workaround to add the attribute so that SIP addresses can be populated on users and imported to the AD phonebook. This should be done on your own risk if you really want to implement this workaround since it's kind of dodgy to mess around with these attributes :)

1. Open CMD (make sure you have domain admin priveleges here) and run the command below

2. Open MMC and add Active Directory Schema as snap-in

3. Right click on "Attributes" and click Create attribute. Click continue on the warning.

fill in these values:

Make sure the Common name is exactly the same as in this box. Once added the LDAP Display name will automatically be populated. IMPORTANT: make sure the LDAP Display name is exactly the same as in the Description above else this won't work. Type in the X500 OID as shown in the box above, set the minimum 0 and maximum 454 and select syntax as Unicode String. Do not tick "multi-valued". Press OK.

Now open the attribute again (if MMC crashes, just start it again, you also might get an error but this should not matter). 

Make sure the tick boxes are the same as the screenshot.

4. Now open "Classes" in MMC and find the "user" class

Right click this class and click properties, select the attribute tab and Click "Add". Find the attribute you just created and add it. Apply and OK.

Now Open ADSI edit and locate your User

Right click your user and properties, find the attribute here and Edit it.

Now you should be able to import the SIP URI from AD.

Hi All, 

Thank you for your help.

I have discussed this solution with our AD guy and using Schema extension is not preferred and would be the last option. 

Is there a TMS update that might address this issue, or can we use attribute mapping that maps to another attribute (mail for example)? We are currently on TMS Version:14.3.0

Another thought, Can we import LDAP users to TMS? Integrate CUCM to TMS/VCS: this option I saw available in Expressway and also in VCS/TMS since CUCM has been prepared and contains all users...

Regards,

Petar

Hi Magnus,

We've decided to try this and configured msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddres user attribute on the AD, but TMS is not importing this value into the phonebook.

I selected to import SIP on TMS but nothing happens. 

If I select e.g. Import IP Phone, users appear in the phonebook, so LDAP filter works.

Is there anything else we should try?

Thanks

It works!

I changed LDAP import port on the TMS, from 3268 to 389.

Cheers,

Petar

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In order to import SIP URI, you need to go into the advanced settings of the phone book source and make sure "Import SIP" is checked.  It will import any SIP URI for users who have one.

Hi Patrick,

I tried that already, nothing changes. 

But if that's how it works, then every LDAP user account should have SIP URI attribute? Should this be added manually for every user if it is not set? 

Thanks for helping.

Regards,

Petar

You'll have to reach out to your Active Directory administrator, I'm not sure how one would do that.

Hi Peter,

This is possible by extending the Schema of your AD deployment to include the "msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress" user attribute. This is the SIP address in AD (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425250%28v=office.13%29.aspx). You would already have this attribute if you have deployed Lync in your environment, this attribute can also be added manually.

You could then use a powershell script to copy the mail attribute of the user (username@domain) to the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress attribute.

Additionally, there has been a post relating to this question here https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11629831/tms-132-legacy-agent-phonebook-and-ad-integration.