Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS reporting - Network Packet Loss

ronin2k8cronus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to see packet loss reports in TMS but there is no info there.

My network is : VCS 7.0.2 with movi, c20 and ex60 registered (SIP) to it and a TMS 13.1.2.

The vcs is a starter pack and the TMS is the demo version. I first registered the endpoint to the vcs and then added the TMS to the network. I the added the endpoints and vcs to TMS. In TMS I see the endpoints and info about them, but unfortunatelly no info in the packet loss report. I made a call between movi and c20 with packet loss but no info was shown in the report.

I am very new to TMS and I wonder if there is something I should do in order to make the endpoints send packet loss info to TMS.

I sshed to the endpoints and I can see the info about packet loss and jitter through the api.

The network described above is my test network on which I can do prety much everything on. I also have the same problem (this time with EX60 endpoints, VCS Control and TMS) on a customer network and on that network I really need to get this working.

Any help would be much appreciated. Form what I read the endpoints should sent this info through HTTP to TMS. Am I right?

Thank you for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Endpoint send feedback to tms over http yes. I'm not in the office and cant verify this at time being but i'm not sure if the units running tc software like c-series and ex support this packetloss reports, i know the legacy mxps does this. If someone can verify this it would be great. If not i will check it tomorrow.

At least you can verify that the endpoints is sending feedback to the tms at all by looking at the system in the navigator under the logs tab.

Check the trap logs. If you can see connect and disconnect traps there, feedback should be working.

/magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Packet loss feedback from TC software systems (C series, MX, and EX) to TMS was never imlemented by the endpoint team. As far as I can see, the decision not to implement it was made because this feature on the MXP rarely was used.

If this feature is critical to you or your customer, please go through the regular channels, and refer to enhancement request "CSCtq54891".

Regards,

Kjetil

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Endpoint send feedback to tms over http yes. I'm not in the office and cant verify this at time being but i'm not sure if the units running tc software like c-series and ex support this packetloss reports, i know the legacy mxps does this. If someone can verify this it would be great. If not i will check it tomorrow.

At least you can verify that the endpoints is sending feedback to the tms at all by looking at the system in the navigator under the logs tab.

Check the trap logs. If you can see connect and disconnect traps there, feedback should be working.

/magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Magnus,

Thank you for your reply. I checked the logs and I get some info over there. I have attached the log.

Do you know what doc should I check to see if Ex60 is supported?

10.1.x.yTANDBERG Codec C20Other typeEndpoint5/8/2012 3:58:51 AMDisconnectedCall id: 3 Port id: 1;

Remote Number: sip:1853@mycompany.com Remote Name: 1853;

Direction: Outgoing CallProtocol: SIP;

Bandwidth: 6000 kbps Encryption Mode: Aes128;

Duration: 00:13:33; Cause Code: Normal call clearing
10.1.x.yTANDBERG Codec C20Other typeEndpoint5/8/2012 3:45:19 AMConnectedCall id: 3 Port id: 1;

Remote Number: sip:1853@mycompany.com Remote Name: ;

Bandwidth: 6000 kbps Encryption Mode: Off;

10.1.x.yTANDBERG Codec C20Other typeEndpoint5/7/2012 6:43:15 AMDisconnectedCall id: 2 Port id: 1;

Remote Number: sip:1853@mycompany.com Remote Name: 1853;

Bandwidth: 6000 kbps Encryption Mode: Aes128;

Duration: 00:14:57; Cause Code: CauseCode_Unknown
10.1.x.yTANDBERG Codec C20Other typeEndpoint5/7/2012 6:28:19 AMConnectedCall id: 2 Port id: 1;

Remote Number: sip:1853@mycompany.com Remote Name: ;

Bandwidth: 6000 kbps Encryption Mode: Off;

10.1.x.yTANDBERG Codec C20Other typeEndpoint5/7/2012 6:28:07 AMGot ResponseGot Network Response - TMS will now monitor   the system.;

;

System: c20principal@mycompany.com -   10.1.x.y ;

System Status: No response;

System Type: TANDBERG C-series   Endpoint;

Software: s52000 TC5.1.0.280662;

Hardware: F1AN19D00469 - ;

;

System Contact;

No Contact ();

Mobile: ;

Office: ;

;

10.1.x.yTANDBERG Codec C20Other typeEndpoint5/7/2012 6:28:07 AMGot ResponseGot Network Response - TMS will now monitor   the system.;

;

System Status: Idle;

;

System Contact;

No Contact ();

;

10.1.x.yTANDBERG Codec C20Other typeEndpoint5/7/2012 6:28:06 AMGot ResponseGot Network Response - TMS will now monitor   the system.;

;

System Status: No response;

;

System Contact;

No Contact ();

;

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Packet loss feedback from TC software systems (C series, MX, and EX) to TMS was never imlemented by the endpoint team. As far as I can see, the decision not to implement it was made because this feature on the MXP rarely was used.

If this feature is critical to you or your customer, please go through the regular channels, and refer to enhancement request "CSCtq54891".

Regards,

Kjetil

For those of use that use TMS to monitor their entire infrastructure and endpoints, packet loss reporting should be very high on everybodys list.  Esspeically knowing we all would like to get the best quality video and audio, it's essential to know when there is a problem.

Maybe the reporting was not much used it was not well put in focus in the TMS reports

and but to get an overview what is going on in your network it is an important thing.

Besides endpoint reports it would be great to have mapped that to the infrastructure as well.

The VCS can show some statistics on traversal calls but at least I am not able to find

this info in any of the local log files nor via the tsh, nor the API, nor the TMS, which is not so great.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

That is kind of disappointing, as I guess I always assumed that the packet loss data was there, as it was a feature that had been discussed during TCE1 and TCE2 from years ago.

Should I bring this up with the PM? Or should I go the roundabout way through the channels and such?

Having said that, I am also assuming that something like CPCM would be the preferred method of collecting this info now?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

If I see it right CPCM does not collect all data, just in case of troubleshooting or maybe on some intervals.

In general I do not really care what collects it, but there should be a way to get statistics and trends

afterwards. RTCP is used on most endpoints and infrastructure products, so why hot have a better

reporting of it.

Also the VCS should have a proper out of the box CDR report which could also include traffic stats if available.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Ok, so now I know for sure that there is no support for TC series endpoints, but how about MCU's. Can I get those statisctics from a 8000 series MCU?

Mahmoud Simrin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

My understanding is the TMS has an API that we can use to pull reporting

information. I looked at cisco.com and the only TMS API I can find

documentation on is the booking API. Is it the same interface? Can you

please point me to overview documentation for the reporting API as well

as developers docs.

Hi Mahmoud,

You are probably referring to the Cisco TMS Analytics Extension. Links to documentation:

Regards,

Kjetil

Argh kjetil, you beat me to it

/Magnus

Hah, beat you to it Magnus!

Hi Patrick

Yes you need the analytics extension option key.

/Magnus

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: