Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS: Show Message X Minutes Before End

CSCO11920884
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i am with TMS 13.2 actually, but will be upgraded at latest until end of 2013.

Our problem is the end of conference message, which will be sent from TMS to endpoints 5 Minutes before the conference ends.

It works fine for scheduled conferences within TMS and automatically DIAL-OUT.

If we use manual DIAL-IN into a conference (especially for any MCU conference) the confernence end message will not be send to any endpoint (but the event itself will be listed in the CCC in event log).

Does this happen due to TMS 13.2 or is it unsupported for all Dial-In conferences? We are also use the TMS API for booking, which allows the users to book ressources on a MCU, and they get back theDial-In number for the MCU and conference, but the conference ends message nevers appaers on the endpoints.

IF i book a conference in TMS scheduler with Dial-Out it works fine, with Dial-In it doesnt work at all.

Thanks,

Thomas

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thomas,

Testing this in the lab I see that TMS does not send the meeting end messages to dial in endpoints even if they are known to TMS.  In the conference event log it reports that it only sent the meeting end messages to the systems that were added directly to the conference.

My test was with a MPS800.  Will test with a Codian shortly to see if the behavior is the same.

View solution in original post

Hi,

I am not sure if I would consider this a bug or not. On one hand, TMS generally assumes that dial-ins are systems not managed by TMS, meaning that we wouldn't be able to send them on-screen messages. On the other hand: it would definitely be possible to add a check to TMS's LiveService so that we check if the dial-ins are managed systems, and then send them on-screen messages if they indeed are TMS managed.

I think behavior is a bit undefined here - this is one of the cases that is borderline bug, borderline feature request!

Regards,

Kjetil

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

timwalk
Level 1
Level 1

Thomas,

I think that this may be by design as they are dial in endpoints that TMS knows nothing about.  I will test this to see but I think that the answer to your question is going to be that this is by design.  The other thing to consider is what type of dial in endpoint is it?  SIP, H.323, IP, ISDN. 

I will confirm this and post a reply back.

Hello Timothy,

thanks for your reply. The endpoints i am talking about are C-Series and Edge MXP.

All of them are registered on VCS and TMS, so TMS should know all about the endpoints.

We are only use H.323, no SIP.

I thought the same you mentioned, but i believe it would be possible to send the message to the endpoints (especially when they are known and tracked by TMS.) However TMS logs this action in event log, and as I have read in TMS 14 release notes, Ad-Hoc conferences monitoring has been improved, so i was hopeful that is will work in v14.

Thanks for checking,

Thomas

Thomas,

That would be a problem as TMS knows about the endpoints.  I am going to test this with TMS 13.2 and later up to TMS 14.1.1 to see if the behavior is the same. 

Thanks

Tim

Thomas,

Testing this in the lab I see that TMS does not send the meeting end messages to dial in endpoints even if they are known to TMS.  In the conference event log it reports that it only sent the meeting end messages to the systems that were added directly to the conference.

My test was with a MPS800.  Will test with a Codian shortly to see if the behavior is the same.

I have recently upgraded TMS to 14.4.2 and have ran some tests around this problem.  TMS appears to be randomly sending out the time remaining messages, even to systems that are managed by TMS, but have dialed in.  In fact, even jabber clients that dial in are getting the messages.

So if Jabber clients can get it, why can't all endpoints? 

Also, does anyone know why, if I have a 5 and 1 minute warning, that sometimes TMS will give a 4 and 1 minute warning, or simply just a 1 minute warning?

Hi,

"[...] In fact, even jabber clients that dial in are getting the messages. So if Jabber clients can get it, why can't all endpoints? [...]"

TMS is not sending such messages to Jabber soft clients, TMS is sending them as in-video messages to the conference bridge. I think we started doing that for all modern bridge types (Conductor, TelePresence MCU, TelePresence Server) in TMS 14.2.

"Also, does anyone know why, if I have a 5 and 1 minute warning, that sometimes TMS will give a 4 and 1 minute warning, or simply just a 1 minute warning?"

One reason could be that TMS's LiveService has way too much to do, and either drops events or delays them. When it happens, do you see anything in the LiveService logs that indicate performance problems?

Regards,
Kjetil

Ok, so I guess I'm confused.  If TMS is send the messages as in-video messages to the conference bridge, then why are the posters above having problems with systems that dial in vs. ones that are managed and connected by TMS.

Can you explain the difference between my issue and theirs?

Thanks!

Darren

..then why are the posters above having problems with systems that dial in vs. ones that are managed and connected by TMS.

In order for them to get in video notifications for any endpoint, whether it be managed or not by TMS as you've seen yourself in your tests, they would need to be using TMS 14.3 or later.  See the Cisco_TMS_release_notes_14-3, pg 3 where it says "Notifications to all participants that a scheduled conference is ending".  All the previous posters were using a version of TMS that is lower than 14.3, so they wouldn't be able to get notifications from TMS for all endpoints within the conference.

Thanks Patrick, I just went from 14.2.2. to 14.4.2 and had been using tear down buffers before.  Until now, the meeting is ending message was not a priority, so I never noticed that before.

Darren

Hi,

I am not sure if I would consider this a bug or not. On one hand, TMS generally assumes that dial-ins are systems not managed by TMS, meaning that we wouldn't be able to send them on-screen messages. On the other hand: it would definitely be possible to add a check to TMS's LiveService so that we check if the dial-ins are managed systems, and then send them on-screen messages if they indeed are TMS managed.

I think behavior is a bit undefined here - this is one of the cases that is borderline bug, borderline feature request!

Regards,

Kjetil

Thank you all,

it is just that we dont use the booking tool inside TMS, but the TMA API with a web application for booking ressources for Multipoint conferences.

This is more flexbible as the user only book the conference ID and have the choice from which room he connects.

But it would still be a good feature also with Dial-ins

Not sure if this is a bug or missing feature, i will forward it to my responsible.

Regards,

Thomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: