Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS upgrade 14.5 to 14.6

nuinoahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Tried to upgrade the TMS to 14.6.  When I start the upgarde I am getting an error related to SQL server:"The SQL server found is not supported, Please upgrade your SQL server....."

TMS is running on Win 2008 R2 SP1

The SQL database was created automatically on the same server when TMS was installed intially with version 13.2.

SQL info:

MSSQL10.05.SQLTMS
File version 2007.100.4000.0
Version 10.2.4000,0

Any idea how I can do the upgarde? Thanks

12 Replies 12

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not an SQL admin or anything, but you should be able to upgrade the version of SQL Server that's installed on the TMS server.  Currently supported versions of SQL Server for TMS 14.6 are all versions of SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012, 64-bit only.  More details can be found in the TMS 14.6 Install and Upgrade Guide as far as SQL requirements.

Upgrading to SQL Server 2008 R2 can be found here.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

Upgrading to SQL Server 2012 can be found here.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267%28v=sql.110%29.aspx

A couple of things to add to Patrick's response (similar to Patrick, I'm no SQL guru either):

You need to have a 64 bit Windows Operating System to be able to install the 64 bit SQL server, so you may need to build a new server if your current one is only a 32 bit server.

You also can't just Upgrade from a 32 bit SQL Server to a 64 bit SQL Server - from all the documentation I've seen, Microsoft don't support upgrading a SQL instance from 32 bit to 64 bit, nor a restore of a 32 bit database on a 64 bit server.  There are some work arounds documented in the MSDN Blogs: x64-windows-upgrade-from-32bit-sql-server-to-64bit-sql-server.aspx Note: these procedures are for SQL 2005 and may in fact be different for 2008/2012.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne said: "Microsoft don't support [...] a restore of a 32 bit database on a 64 bit server."

I think that's unlikely. I have always used 64 bit SQL servers, and restored dozens of database copies when reproducing defects reported by customers etc. Many of these must surely have been created using a 32 bit SQL Server, but I have never been blocked from restoring them on my 64 bit servers.

Regards,
Kjetil

Hi Kjetil,

It certainly used to be the case, but maybe it isn't an issue any more (as I mentioned, I'm no SQL guru).  I've only been running 64 bit for a long time now, so haven't had a need to try recently..

There is a bunch of discussion in the MSDN Blog I linked previously, including some workarounds if you do need to do it, and it doesn't work.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello all,

Thanks all for your input

I did the upgrade and I did

- Install SQL Express (20808 R2 64 bits)

- install SQL studio 

- Backup Database (tmsng and tmspe)

- Remove SQL 2008 and left SQL 2008 R2

- Restored Database (make sure to point to the right directory)

- Regedit and deleted EcryptedBinaryConnection  (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Tandberg\TANDBERG Management Server Suite)

Otherwise, I was not able to install 14.6.

- Install TMS 14.6

- Restart the server 

It was not an easy one for me as I don't master the SQL part but I managed to get it working finally :-)

Ahmed

Hi nuinoahmed,

I'm in your same situation.

I'll try  your procedure..

thansk,

C.

Did you stop services on TMS application server?

Hello Marcleo -

Might be best to start a discussion of your own, and link to this discussion, just in case your issue might be more in depth or go on in length so to not get lost in this already long thread.

But what is your issue?  Typically the TMS installer will stop the TMS services, or you could do it yourself.  Anytime you do anything with the SQL database or TMS application, it's usually best to stop the services so they don't interfere.

Hi Patrick,

I have tms 14.5 with bundled database running on win 2k8 R2 64 bit.

when I try to upgrade the TMS to 14.6  I received the same error of nuinoahmed.

today I have tried to upgrade SQL Express on tms via this setup: http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=30438

the upgrade seems works fine, but in fact it doesn't upgrade my sql and the TMS 14.6 setup won't installed. 

Did you select the "Upgrade from SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005, or SQL Server 2008" option from the SQL Installation Wizard, and follow the steps noted in the links above?

If it simply installed a newer version of SQL Server alongside the old one, you could migrate the TMS database over to the new SQL Server by doing a backup and restore.

Yes, I Have selected "Upgrade from SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005, or SQL Server 2008" option ..

Sumeet Rakesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can follow below steps:

1. Install TMS 14.6 on spare server (in Lab) and restore the database. Check if this database from the older version is working fine on TMS 14.6.

2. If yes, uninstall TMS application and SQL from main server.

3. Install, TMS 14.6 as fresh on the older server and then restore the database from older version.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: