Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMSPE questions

Looking at the new TMSPE release, have a few questions:

• I didn't catch this in the release note or documentation, but it appears that you can no longer add model-free or version-free provisioning parameters... in other words, under TMS Agent I could specify a Phone Book Server URI at the top-level group and leave the model/version unspecified, and all models and versions of capable endpoints would receive the setting... I only had to configure it in one place.  Now it appears I need to at least provision it (even if just copying) once for each model.  Is this correct?
  • How does versioning work?  If a Jabber Video 4.4 client connects but there is no Movi 4.4 template applied, does it use the closest down-level template? This appears to be case, but wanted to confirm.  I don't think it behaved this way under the TMS Agent model, but not sure.
  • No more user level overrides!  Any chance this might make it back into the product?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Frederick

Sorry I noticed that what I wrote here is wrong. It is opposite of what I said and I'm sorry for the mistake. You can use the 4.4 jabber client using the 4.3 template but the 4.3 client cannot use the 4.4 template. That's how it works.

So basically you can have 4.2 template and 4.4 template. Then you can login with 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 but not 4.1 for example.

Sorry again for the misleading information.

/Magnus

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Yes you need a version specific template, there is no univeral template anymore, but lets take jabber for example. You cannot use the 4.3 template for jabber version 4.4 you need the 4.4 template. However the 4.3 client can use the 4.4 template etc.

I guess what your asking must be reported as an enhancement request if you want this universal template implemented.

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Magnus.

There are a significant number of parameters in most deployments that are universal across all provisioned endpoints, and the ability to configure/change them once at the top-level container was efficient and convenient.  So TMSPE took a step back in this regard, but not a huge concern since there is still a way to implement an effective configuration, and once set up these things tend not to change too much.

So confirming what you stated: is it safe to assume if I use the newest template for a given product, an older version of product will just ignore the fields it doesn't implement?

Hi Frederick

Sorry I noticed that what I wrote here is wrong. It is opposite of what I said and I'm sorry for the mistake. You can use the 4.4 jabber client using the 4.3 template but the 4.3 client cannot use the 4.4 template. That's how it works.

So basically you can have 4.2 template and 4.4 template. Then you can login with 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 but not 4.1 for example.

Sorry again for the misleading information.

/Magnus

Thanks Magnus.  This matches my observations and probably explains why TMSPE ships only with templates for some pretty old (i.e. movi 3.1) product versions out of the box.

Yes, it would be much more handy if it has a centralized template upgrade option

accessing it from a cisco server.

I would guess 99% are running anyhow only the original unmodified cisco xml templates.

So a TMS alert "hey there is a new software version and it also comes with a new template"

with a nice "do you want to download and integrate the new schema?"

An option to manually install / replace one would still be handy.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify