cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TPS-Upgrade 4.3(1.13) on VMware - Error: "Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation"

MichaelFFM
Level 1
Level 1

I tried an upgrade on a TP server (on VMware) from 4.2 (4.23) to 4.3 (1.13) using the supplied Python Script "redeploy_vts.zip". The script aborts with the error message: "Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation".

It runs Free ESXi 6.0 hypervisor.
Where is the mistake?
6 Replies 6

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It could be that the TelePresence Server 4.3 isn't capable of running on the free version of ESXi or some process that the migration tool is trying to perform isn't supported, though it's just a guess.  The redeploy_vts tool generates a log file in the directory the tool is located, does this log file show any sign of it trying to perform any action or function that it can't?  Probably best to contact TAC, that way they can assist you in getting the TPS migrated properly and retaining it's licenses.

Thank you for your answer.

So it seems, the script fails to rename the TPS. The log say "utilities.Redeployer - INFO - Renaming sr98lvtps01 to sr98lvtps01". Then it deletes the temporary directory for the ova file, logs off from vSphere and reverse the redeployment.

Even the Redeployment via CLI proposes unfortunately fail. Here it reports missing permissions in the directory where the ova file is. "IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c: \\ temp'"

I had hoped that there might someone has already migrated to 4.3 and knows the error.

Are you deploying the vTS with a user that has full admin access to the ESXI?

Since the 4.3 release literally just came out, it's unlike many have had a chance to migrate their servers.  I did mine yesterday, but I have MM410v servers, so they're Cisco UCS blades and not third-party spec based.  If the you're not able to figure out the issue using the logs, might want to consider contacting TAC.

Yes, I have full administrator rights. It is my server. ;-)
The hardware is a UCSC-C220-M4S, so that should not be the problem.
Thank you for your notes. Tomorrow, I will open a TAC.

Did you open a TAC case?  I have the same issue with a BE6k and the included VMware license.

No. I didn't open a TAC. I sat down with a colleague and then, with enough time, we have found the solution.
It is a license problem of the free version of VMWare. We think, the free version have no api-support. We've set up a new VMWare server, where you have 60 days full licenses. Then we moved the TPS to the new server and the PythonScript ran through with both variants, with the web front-end as well as the command line. After that we moved the TPS back.