Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Cisco IP phones with same extension

hassan.fahmy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

can i have two different cisco IP phones with the same extension so when someone call this extension both phones ring and can make call from both phones, and if this is available how can i do it step by step

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. This is called a shared line.

If CUCM: follow the normal process you take for associating a DN to a phone, just enter the same extension and partition on two devices.

If CME: When associating the ephone-dn to the ephone with the button command, just use the same tag on both ephones. You'll likely want to set the ephone-dn to dual or octoline.

PS- In the future please include the software name and version that is involved. Answers typically differ between platforms.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

Hi Hassan,

If this is CUCM, when you populate the Shared DN (directory number)

on the DN config page make sure to fill in these two name related fields

Towards the bottom of the page;

Line 1 on Device SEPaaabbbcccddd

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. This is called a shared line.

If CUCM: follow the normal process you take for associating a DN to a phone, just enter the same extension and partition on two devices.

If CME: When associating the ephone-dn to the ephone with the button command, just use the same tag on both ephones. You'll likely want to set the ephone-dn to dual or octoline.

PS- In the future please include the software name and version that is involved. Answers typically differ between platforms.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Dear jonathan,

but i am facing strange thing, that after i add new ip phone with same extension, the new phone doesn`t take my name as old one although i changed the phone description

Hi Hassan,

If this is CUCM, when you populate the Shared DN (directory number)

on the DN config page make sure to fill in these two name related fields

Towards the bottom of the page;

Line 1 on Device SEPaaabbbcccddd

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

Dear rob,

Thanks for your response, but i would like to ask a Question, after i make this 2nd ip phone with same DN, i found that i can`t make conference call as i b4 on the first ip phone, do you have any explanation for such problem ?

Thanks Again

Conferencing requires a Conference Bridge from the Media Resource Group List. Compare the Device Pools between the two phones to see if they match. If they need to be different because the phones are at diffeent locations, check that the MRGL assigned to both includes a CFB resource.

Also, check that the Maximum Calls on the DN configuration page (below the Display/ASCII Display fields) has a number high enough to start a conference call. The default value is four (4).

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for your help, please note that

• both lines are in different device pool, becase as you said they are in different sites
  • now i have 3 phones with same DN in two different location
  • Three phones in the the old site can make conference normal and when browsing the IP for any telepgone i see they are using G.711.
  • new three phones with same DN of old ones can not make conference and they appear in browsing as using G.722 althuogh they are in same device pool and the codec in region is configured to be G.711
  • we doesn`t configure MRGL, we have 2 CFB configured, phones assigned MRGL <>

any idea what is could be the problem

• i want new three phones make conference
  • and i want telephone in different site make conference althuogh they are using different codecs (G.711 and G.729)

really thanks for your help and support

waiting your reply

adeebtaqui
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is it possible to configure existing cisco CUCM for same extension for newly installed ATA187 and ferntel IP phone?

vivi
Level 1
Level 1

I do have two IP phone with same extension both phone ring on same time when someone dial the extension but if someone dial main branch number then it rings only on one phone instead of both phone...how to make it ring on both IP phone when someone dial main branch number?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: