Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Expressway Rollback

rchaseling
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I still believe downgrading Expressway's is still not supported. Customer wants a rollback plan for upgrade - is the only supported method to restore the cluster from backup?

Anyone had to do this?  Or has anything actually "downgraded" their Expressway successfully ?

Thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

It works from first VCS releases, i thought it was well-known...

Two methods:

1) Reboot Expressway  > stop boot script with ctlr-c and select alternate image from GRUB for continue boot

2) Login by root and type selectsw and you can see which image using now.

Then type selectsw1 or selectsw2 for choose image after reboot:

selectsw1- first image

selectsw2 -second image

reboot

I don't check downgrade from 14x to 12.6.4 .

Do you read release notes info about downgrade ?

You can simple and quick test such downgrade in lab. I think all will be Ok with downgrade.

BR Oleksandr

View solution in original post

Hi ,

You can find this info on https://www.ciscolive.com/  in on-demand section in lections about troubleshooting VCS or Expressway.

BR Oleksandr

For anyone else reference the command to switch is selectsw 1 or 2, so selectsw, space, 1 or 2. Otherwise you'll get an error for command not found.

image.png

Response Signature

9 Replies 9

Hi,

Every Expressway, can have two image onboard. And if your upgrade fail , you can use second image. After upgrade you can use first or second image. Use root login.

Greenfield installation has one image.

If you use greenfield Expressway 14x, you can't downgrade to Expressway 12x.

What Expressway version you use and to what version you want to upgrade ? All info in Release Notes.

BR Oleksandr

Interesting. ':-)'

How do you actually switch between the two images?

Response Signature

Hi there,

I've never head of that. How do you switch?

Going from X12.6.4 to X14.0.5

Russell

Hi,

It works from first VCS releases, i thought it was well-known...

Two methods:

1) Reboot Expressway  > stop boot script with ctlr-c and select alternate image from GRUB for continue boot

2) Login by root and type selectsw and you can see which image using now.

Then type selectsw1 or selectsw2 for choose image after reboot:

selectsw1- first image

selectsw2 -second image

reboot

I don't check downgrade from 14x to 12.6.4 .

Do you read release notes info about downgrade ?

You can simple and quick test such downgrade in lab. I think all will be Ok with downgrade.

BR Oleksandr

Hi,

This is excellent information but I do not see it mentioned anywhere in Cisco documentation......which is crazy really if it works because trying to tell a customer that the only rollback is rebuilding it from backup is not going down too well!!

Hi ,

You can find this info on https://www.ciscolive.com/  in on-demand section in lections about troubleshooting VCS or Expressway.

BR Oleksandr

For anyone else reference the command to switch is selectsw 1 or 2, so selectsw, space, 1 or 2. Otherwise you'll get an error for command not found.

image.png

Response Signature

Hi Oleksander, 

Great stuff, I found the same thing in the x14.0 Upgrade guide. 

A question though, I am about to upgrade 14.2.6 to 14.3.1, everything is in order for the upgrade so okay with that part. 
In case I have to roll back, all I would need to do is log in to the Expressway E&C as root and switch to the old image and reboot. 
would I need to upload the backup i did in GUI as well? as nothing would be changed from the config perspective?

Thanks

No need to do anything else than just the switch of version. The configuration stays the same, so no need to restore any backup.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: