cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade of TMS plus migration of database to external SQL server

Ross Cotton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we are planning to upgrade TMS from 13.2.1 (with TMS Agent) up to 14.3.1 (with PE) and also migrate the database on to an external SQL Server.

I have a question;

after we have restored the database on to the new external SQL Server, do we have to re-install TMS on the same version as is currently installed or can we install/upgrade the later version and point it at the new database location?

Also, is it worth migrating the database first, before we install PE?  or would you install PE first and then migrate databases over to new server?

thanks

ross

9 Replies 9

daleritc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, we are planning to upgrade TMS from 13.2.1 (with TMS Agent) up to  14.3.1 (with PE) and also migrate the database on to an external SQL  Server.

Ensure you read the TMS Install doc and release notes since you mention Legacy TMS Agent...meaning you have to first upgrade TMS to 13.2.2, then migrate from Legacy TMS Agent to TMSPE v1.0. Once you've completed this, then you can make the jump to TMS 14.3.1 and TMSPE v1.1.

after  we have restored the database on to the new external SQL Server, do we  have to re-install TMS on the same version as is currently installed or  can we install/upgrade the later version and point it at the new  database location?

Also,  is it worth migrating the database first, before we install PE?  or  would you install PE first and then migrate databases over to new  server?

If you want to move the "tmsng" db to the new external SQL Server, then I  would do this before you start anything...meaning move the 13.2.1 tmsng  db to the new external SQL Server and then simply use the TMS Tools to  point to the new db location. Remember before you move the 13.2.1 tmsng  db to stop/disable all the TMS related services as well as the IIS on  the TMS server. I would also do a backup of the db as well. After the  move has been completed and you have run the TMS Tools, then restart IIS  and the TMS services and ensure all is working in 13.2.1, then proceed to what I've  explained in my paragraph above.

rgds,

Dale

so this would be the order of tasks?;

1.     move current 13.2.1 db to new server

2.     use tms tools to point at new db location

3.     upgrade to 13.2.2

4.     install and configure PE 1.0

5.     upgrade to 14.3.1

6.     upgrade to PE 1.1

thanks

ross

Correct

#3 doesn't have to be done, TMSPE v1.0 is supported in TMS 13.2 or any dot-dot version of 13.2...meaning 13.2.1 or 13.2.2. My bad

And #4 is more of an install, migrate and configure. Make sure you follow the TMSPE v1.0 Deployment Guide

#5 and #6 should preferably be done together, i.e. TMS first, then TMSPE.

Links to the Cisco TMS Install doc and TMSPE v1.0 Deployment Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tms/install_guide/Cisco_TMS_install_guide_14-3.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tmspe/install_guide/Cisco_TMSPE_Deployment_Guide_1-0.pdf

When you get ready to upgrade to TMSPE v1.1, make sure you follow the TMSPE v1.1 Deployment doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tmspe/install_guide/Cisco_TMSPE_Deployment_Guide_1-1.pdf

thanks for that

so does tms require a re-installation after the database migration?

or does the tms tools config effectively cover that piece completely?

thanks

ross

so does tms require a re-installation after the database migration?

No

or does the tms tools config effectively cover that piece completely?

Yes

Amine Majdi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I want to install a new TMS 14.3.2 with external SQL database, and I want to know the ports which I must open between TMS and SQL database ? 

Thanks 

hi, i cant find anything in the TMS docs in regard to this specifically but you could try this;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287932

one question, why is there a firewall inbetween your TMS and SQL?

thanks

Thank you for the fast response. 

Yes I have a firewall inbetween my TMS and SQL. 

So, via the link I understand the port wish I must open is 1433 from client ( TMS server) to dabase (SQL Server) 

Thank 

If you have a firewall inbetween them, I would raise an eyebrow.  The link between TMS and SQL must be very fast and WILL take a ton of data (many megabytes/sec is not uncommon)

what ports you need open is purely a SQL topic.  It depends on your SQL server setup.  If it's a stand-alone instance on the default port, it's the 1433 port.  If it's a named instance, by default it's a dynamic port, along with the SQL Browser service port.  You would have to configure the SQL instance to use a static port (part of sql instance properties) and update the SQL connection strings in TMS to specify a port number by adding ,Port to the end of the server address

ports, you will need to open the UDP port for the SQL Browser service, and 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: