cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Camera support for SX80

Douglas Baggett
Level 1
Level 1

Has anybody gotten a USB Camera to work on the SX80 as a video input (CE9.7)? I can see the camera is detected by the Kernel in the logs, but I can't seem to get it to be detected as a video input.

thanks

7 Replies 7

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7

You can't get it detected as a video input because it's not supported as a video input. See the datasheet. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/telepresence-quick-set-series/datasheet-c78-731242.html

There are five video inputs, three HDMI, one DVI, and one SD/Analog. That's it. 

Too bad! I was hoping take advantage of some good USB cameras out there. Over the last couple of years quite a few interesting cameras have come out by various vendors.

thanks!

I'll put that in as a feature request with my account rep. Who knows? Maybe somebody will listen.

They might listen, but probably not for the SX80 given it's an end of sale device.  Worth a shot though.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no chance Cisco will add a feature to a device that is end of sale. They would only fix a critical bug or vulnerability in that scenario - they won't add a feature. I worked there for many years - I know this. 

I hear ya, I think though that if its something that could be added via software across the units (say a generic feature within CE) then it's possible. The kernel already sees it (you can see it in the logs). That's probably generic across all of the current codecs that run CE.

Of course I don't know the codebase, but I'd bet it's not that hard to easily implement without too much work.

Sri is coming to visit my agency sometime soon on his swing around Federal customers. I'll bring up and see what he says.

In the meantime....brief googling has shown some USB to HDMI converters. Anybody have any experience with something like that?

@Douglas Baggett wrote:

brief googling has shown some USB to HDMI converters. Anybody have any experience with something like that?

Most of those will be for connecting a HDMI device to a USB port on your computer as either an input or an output, and usually requires a driver so won't be something that will work out of the box on a SX80.

Connecting a USB camera device to an HDMI port isn't something that is common thing, so it may be very hard to find something to do that directly.   You could always do it with a small PC where the USB camera is connected to the PC, then the output from the PC is via HDMI in to the codec.  You'd need to make sure that the PC is displaying the camera's video full screen to the output.  That's probably the simplest way to do what you want to do.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

cmeece001
Level 1
Level 1

If you really wanted to set this up, then use a PC as the USB to HDMI converter; Plug your PC video out into the SX80 HDMI IN 1, then extend your desktop and full-screen the camera app on the extended screen. Cumbersome, but should allow you to use a web cam as your camera on the SX80.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: