cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Devices Connected To DX80

Rob P
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a DX80 as a 'second monitor' that also handles my video conferencing related needs.  I have both the USB type-b/HDMI ports on the back of the DX80 connected to my desktop PC.  Obviously, the DX80 has a camera on the front and I've also connected a headset to the back into one of the available USB ports.

The thing is, my PC does not seem to recognize the DX80's camera nor the headset's microphone.  This means that everything works great for WebEx and Jabber, but that my PC doesn't think I have a camera or microphone (it does recognize the DX80 as a sound out device, so I can play PC audio through the DX80 speakers or the connected headset).  If I want to record a PowerPoint presentation or answer a call inside of Slack - I really can't, without unplugging my headset.

Should the PC recognize either the headset or camera?  Right now, I've noticed that when I unplug the USB-B connector in the back, it doesn't seem to make any difference - I was expecting that this is how the PC would be able to communicate with the connected devices?  

Can someone provide some information?  I can purchase a USB switch and a different webcam but I'd like to avoid it if I can get the DX80 to integrate better with the PC.

Thank you

2 Replies 2

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7
I'm guessing you are running CE code on the DX80, correct? If so, the USB connection between the DX and your PC does exactly what you think it does - nothing. Early DX 70's and 80's ran android based code, and in that scenario the USB was used for file transfers between the two devices. With CE, that goes out the window, it serves no purpose at all. I have the exact same setup at my desk, but in my case I don't look to use my PC as a real time audio/video client, I use the DX80 for that - it's my phone (I only use Jabber when elsewhere), it's how I connect to Webex. If you need audio/video capture devices on your laptop, you'll need to get them, the DX80 will not fit that need for you. Hope this helps

That helps a lot.

I am running version ce9.4.1.6ae80e1f2ee - and everything you say matches up with my experiences so far. It's a shame, but I guess I'm not really using it as it was intended. I'll wait a bit in case someone else says anything different, but I think you've nailed it.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: