cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use DX80 camera with laptop ?

tymburrow
Level 1
Level 1

Can I make the DX80 camera act as a webcam on a laptop please?

I assume that the USB cable would be used. 

Reason some laptops don't have a webcam and others are closed and in their docking station.

Thanks

Tym

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No, the camera is only used by the endpoint, computers connected to the USB port can't use it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No, the camera is only used by the endpoint, computers connected to the USB port can't use it.

Can't this be solved with a new driver? I use the DX80 as the Primary screen for my Laptop when I'm in the office and it just doesn't make sense to use a second webcam when there is a high quality cam integrated in the DX80. Also what is the USB cable used for connecting the Windows laptop and the DX80?

The answer is still no.  Especially if you are running the CE code on the DX80 instead of the old Android software.

The USB ports are really only there for the old Android software and do not provide any functionality on CE.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Any way to get a feature request pushed through? I just got rid of my external webcam because I thought my DX80's webcam would work. This is really disappointing.

You're a Cisco employee - this is a public forum, perhaps not the best way to approach this for you......

That said - it's not going to happen. The DX80 has been around for years, Cisco is not going to go develop any new features for a product that is in the homestretch at this point. The USB cable that ships (or shipped?) with them was for when they were android devices, you could share files between your laptop and the DX in those days. It was never for sharing I/O devices between laptop and DX. 

Community forums are for the community, no? I don't get any special access/information, if that is what you're implying.

Yeah.... still ships with them. And it is unfortunate that the platform is locked down like it is.

Yeah - I was thinking you could ask the BU directly, that's what I did when I was there. 

I have a question for you - if you have a DX80, why do you want to use the camera on it with a laptop app - why not just use the DX instead of the app? I was with Cisco and am now with a Cisco customer - at my desk I use the DX80 for all communications - Webex meetings, phone/video calls, etc. Just trying to understand the use case to use the DX as a laptop web camera - I'm guessing to use for Webex Meetings, Webex Teams, Jabber - why not just use the DX for that? Just trying to understand your use case. 

As a Cisco employee, surely your internal channels to the BU regarding feature requests are going to be much better than those of us in the community (predominantly partners and end users) are going to have access to.

But, as the DX80 is such an old product, and really doesn't have a lot of processing power behind it (hence why features like Multisite aren't available on them as they are on other endpoints), it's not likely that new features will be added to these old devices.  Even less so with the availability of the newer Webex Desk Pro endpoint which could be viewed as a DX80 replacement with current generation tech behind it.

If you want a low end device that can be used as a video endpoint, and double up as a web camera, then you probably need to look at the Room Kit Mini as a current model product that supports doing both those functions.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I get what you are saying about the DX80.  Unfortunately not everyone can afford Webex Desk Pros or room kits.  There is an absolutely solid use case for having desktop access to the DX80 webcam.  I'm having to use the DX80 camera for webex calls and my PC webcam for MS Teams that is until I save up enough cash to buy a Desk Pro - anyway, the DX80 is a dead duck and thats it..

If you want an option that will do what you want that is cheaper than the "Webex Desk Pro", you could try the "Webex Desk".  It's more along the lines of what the DX80 used to be.

Wayne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: