Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Jabber to add Video to desk phone call

twhittle1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to place a call using a non-video handset and have jabber automatically add in the video. I.E> I'm sat at my desk using a Cisco handset which doesn't have a built in camera. I place a call to another user (either with a video phone or without but with Jabber doing the video) and automatically Jabber (which is signed in) fires up the video. Similar to the old video advantage.

Is this possible?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks,

Tom

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jabber is not designed to work as a video only connection tied to the phone like VT Advantage was. Why not just use Jabber for the audio and video? I have that setup - I use the phone if I know it's just an audio call and use Jabber if there will be video. 

View solution in original post

brmorris
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry this answer is INCORRECT, Jabber for windows has had this feature since day one.  

For this to work you must have either the medianet or CDP drivers installed.   Also the Jabber workstation MUST be connected to the workstation port on the phone.  Finally the feature must be enabled on UC manager.   When you make a voice call on the phone video will be display on your windows workstation.    You must also have a supported phone,  the phone can't have a built in or installed (i.e. 9971) camera.  

Bryan
(Jabber TME team)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jabber is not designed to work as a video only connection tied to the phone like VT Advantage was. Why not just use Jabber for the audio and video? I have that setup - I use the phone if I know it's just an audio call and use Jabber if there will be video. 

Thanks Patrick. My research was leading me to think this might be the case but I had in my head I could link jabber to an ip phone and use the ip phone for the voice element and jabber for the video. it would be a cost effective way to get video everywhere instead of having to buy many video enabled phones. Getting some users to make calling using their PC rather than their deskphone can be tricky.

Many Thanks for your response.

Tom

brmorris
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry this answer is INCORRECT, Jabber for windows has had this feature since day one.  

For this to work you must have either the medianet or CDP drivers installed.   Also the Jabber workstation MUST be connected to the workstation port on the phone.  Finally the feature must be enabled on UC manager.   When you make a voice call on the phone video will be display on your windows workstation.    You must also have a supported phone,  the phone can't have a built in or installed (i.e. 9971) camera.  

Bryan
(Jabber TME team)

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the response. That's great news that this is something which is achievable. I'll add it to my list of things to try.

Many Thanks,

Tom

Bryan - I am struggling to find any documentation on this. I have seen it in operation int he past, and would like to configure it in my lab. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: