cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Appliance Upgrade

Mathew Varghese
Level 1
Level 1

We are having VCS control and expressway physical appliance running X7.2.2.

Do we have any limitations in upgrading the software to the latest X8.5 in appliance?

Are these platforms supported for latest versions of software ?

Thanks in advance.

Mathew

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can upgrade without worry, I've upgraded our appliance to the latest release without issues.  Unless Cisco decides to EOL the appliance, you shouldn't have to worry about them dropping support for it.  Just be sure to check all the release notes etc from the version you're running and going to, most notably the changes in ports.

Something to consider is migrating them to be virtual, if feel you want to or need to move away from the appliance.

As Patrick has said, yes, you can upgrade the VCS appliances.  In fact, I've just done three of those this morning myself from X7.2.3. to X8.5.0.

The appliance devices are still supported for Software Updates until 15 September 2015, and the last day of Hardware Support is 30 September 2019.  See the EOS/EOL Notice for more info.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Patrick and Wayne for the comments

We were able to upgrade 2 each VCS control and expressway to latest codes today without issues.

However i could not find any document support referencing this scenario from Cisco.

-Mathew

Glad to hear you've got it working.  I'm not sure what you mean by you can't find any documentation on using X8.5.0 on the VCS appliances... There's plenty of information on the VCS Page on the Cisco web site including links to the Release Notes and Configuration Guides including the link to the software download.

The onoy difference with the virtual VCSes are they're initally built via an OVA file, but all further upgrades are done in the exact same way as the hardware version.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

As Wayne mentions, beyond the platform and how the VCS is initially deployed, be it a hardware appliance or VM, it's all the same software, upgrade procedures, everything.  The only difference at all is how one chooses to deploy it, ie: appliance or virtual.  So any documentation you read, will apply to both deployment types.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: