Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Control- rejecting IP address

David Kos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I have a quick question about a VCS Control.  I have a customer that was having an issue with an endoint registering with the VCS and we spent alot of time trouble shooting.  The customer's network team came back with a statement that their network wasn't the cause and could get the unit to register once they changed its IP address.  We originally looked into the Registration Policy was set to "None" on their VCS Control so I was wondering if the VCS Control has another area where it can be set to block a specific IP address from Registering with it?  I look forward to all responses and everyone's insite. Thanks for your time! DK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you don't see any registration attempt from the endpoint, than that means the endpoint hasn't tried to register to the VCS, it could be that it can't reach it or is being blocked somewhere.
It's been awhile since I've touched a Polycom endpoint, but I'd check the logs of the endpoint to see if it's finding the VCS and attempting to register.
You can also try swapping network ports they're plugged into, and possibly their IP address too, see if the issue follows the network port, IP, or endpoint?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7

Dave - can you see the registration attempt in the event log of the VCS? If so what error message is there? If you don't see anything use go to maintenance/tools/network utilities/ping on the VCS and try to ping the IP address (traceroute is there too). If you can't ping it it's a network/routing problem. 

Hello,
Which endpoint registration error you can see in VCS event/network log ?

David Kos
Level 1
Level 1
Hi PJ,
The crazy thing was that we didn't see the registration attempt in the VCS' logs so we assumed it was something in the network that was blocking the registration attempt. The client had 2 HDX's in the same office and one could register and the other couldn't. We compared their trace routes on the Polycom devices and they were different at first. After mentioning this fact to the network team it looked as if the route was adjusted but the 1 system still couldn't register. I don't remember us pinging from the VCS Control to the endpoint. I'd assume that they had to make an adjustment to their network if the VCS Control wasn't actually seeing the Registration attempts? I just wanted to double check that there wasn't any other areas that a VCS could be set to reject an IP but I guess it's hard to reject a registration attempt that was never there. :)

If you don't see any registration attempt from the endpoint, than that means the endpoint hasn't tried to register to the VCS, it could be that it can't reach it or is being blocked somewhere.
It's been awhile since I've touched a Polycom endpoint, but I'd check the logs of the endpoint to see if it's finding the VCS and attempting to register.
You can also try swapping network ports they're plugged into, and possibly their IP address too, see if the issue follows the network port, IP, or endpoint?

The client's network team adjusted their network and blamed the VCS Control but they were 100% wrong! Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm accepting your solution to close.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: