cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS-E SRV Records for Multiple Regions

Andrew Vasel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a production region with a cluster of 2 expressways, and a test region with a single expressway.

Since I set up the test region first, I have SRV records in place for the test expressway:

Here is an example of 1...

_sip._tcp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 10 10 5060 testvcsx.example.com

How can I set up SRV records for the production cluster using the same domain (example.com) but still be able to separate my production and test registrations, call traffic, etc?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ahmashar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Andrew,

you need somehow to distinguish between prod and test platform.

I would suggest to leave prod domain to be as (referring to your example) example.com and test to be test.example.com

The DNS SRV response is a set of records in the format of:

_ service. _ protocol.. TTL Class SRV Priority Weight Port Target

Where Target is an A-record defining the destination and for a cluster it can be the cluster FQDN.

so if you have a cluster as prod and a standalone as test, you can implement like this:

_sip._tcp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 10 10 5060 vcscluster.example.com

and you test domain to be resolved by:

_sip._tcp.test.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 10 10 5060 testvcsx.test.example.com

regards, Ahmad

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ahmashar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Andrew,

you need somehow to distinguish between prod and test platform.

I would suggest to leave prod domain to be as (referring to your example) example.com and test to be test.example.com

The DNS SRV response is a set of records in the format of:

_ service. _ protocol.. TTL Class SRV Priority Weight Port Target

Where Target is an A-record defining the destination and for a cluster it can be the cluster FQDN.

so if you have a cluster as prod and a standalone as test, you can implement like this:

_sip._tcp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 10 10 5060 vcscluster.example.com

and you test domain to be resolved by:

_sip._tcp.test.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 10 10 5060 testvcsx.test.example.com

regards, Ahmad

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andrew,

I don't think you can separate this way the prodcution and test cluster. because when the outside clients sends the request for srv records for a particular domain you will see the reply coming with all the expressway ip's (if set with same domain).

so as mentioned by Ahmad please use separate domain to create srv records.

Rgds

Alok

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would say it depends on what you want to do.

Either you could do a additional domain for testing, especially if you need to share resources

that might be the better way (like you only have one vcs-e and you need a traversal zone and

be reachable from the outside).

In addition some search rule magic can be handy (like test.whatever@maindomain.com gets whatever@maindomain.com on the test system).

Also a complete seperated setup with a split DNS which is only valid on your test systems can be an option.

Others have a complete mirrored system with a mockup network with the same addresses, ...

It all depends on what you want to archive what would be the best way for such a setup

On one hand you want a separation on the other a clear split, not all is possible at the same time :-)

What I would do is to have the main domain properly set up.

Check out the cluster admin, basic vcs-c/e deployment guide and the admin guide,

they tell you what you should set up.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11337/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

CAVE! The info from Ahmed might be misleading. A SRV record by RFC is not allowed to point

to an IP address, it has to be an A record!

Also if you have a cluster you do not want to point it to ne

vcscluster.example.com record, you want to add two with the same weight/priority

to  vcs1.example.com/vcs2.example.com

As you mentioned _sip/5060, make sure that you also have _sips/5061 as you should

use encryption anyhow, as well for legacy systems have h323 in place as well.

Again, check the guides, its nicely listed there what has to be set up. If you have questions after reading

these documents, feel free to ask again.

Please rate the answers using the stars below and set the thread to answered if it is!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Andrew Vasel
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. I am going to use test.example.com for my test region SRV records and see how that goes.

BTW, I have read all the documentation for the VCS, and it is not always as clear or expanded as it could be or account for all scenarios.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: