cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Hardware

MIKE ZINNER
Level 1
Level 1

Do versions of VCS 8 and above demand a VM?

Will the new VCS-Expressway-C and E behave like the VCS C/E do today? 

Can configuration files be ported over?  Licenses?

Thanks

Docs seem to say different things depending on what doc you look at.

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From what I know, only VMs are supported on 8.7+, you can only go as far as 8.6.x on appliances.

The name for the servers is that they're either VCS-C and VCS-E, or EXP-C and EXP-E. That's the same you'll see in the servers when you login, there's no VCS-Expressway-C, that's just mixing the names of the products.

The expressways are a subset of the features from VCS.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can still purchase VCS-C/E as a hardware appliance, it currently runs on the CE1100 (Cisco VCS pre-installed on UCS C220 M4L), see the VCS Data Sheet.  No matter if you run an appliance or virtual VCS, they're the same, just different platforms that the software runs on.

You can copy configurations over from one VCS to another, refer to the Backup and Restore section in the VCS Admin Guide for your software version.  The backup will copy all data except log files, and there are some limitations, so check the admin guide on what those are.

Licenses can't be copied unless you have a hardware failure and need to preform an RMA or are migrating from a hardware appliance to virtual.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can purchase a migration SKU to migrate your licensing from a physical VCS to a Virtual VCS - last time I checked, this was being offered as a $0 part.

From X8.8.2 onwards, there is no support for running on the old Gen1 hardware, so if you have a VCS with a serial number starting with 52A, you will need to update to a new physical (CE1100) or Virtual VCS to be able to keep up to date.  This is mentioned in the X8.8.2 Release Notes.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello Wayne,

if the customer still wants an appliance and does not want to migrate yet to Expressway C/E due to license issues, what is the process to migrate the extisting licenses from an old GEN1 appliance to the new CE1100 platform.

In this case do we use also the virtual migration SKU# R-VMVCS-E-M-K9, or do we contact licensing directly?

When would we use SKU# TRD-CISCO-VCS-E?

Thanks for your clarification

Christian

I don't know the process for migrating from appliance to appliance, if it's simply purchasing the new appliance and rehosting the license, or if it's a special migration SKU. However, if you want to migrate from appliance to virtual, than you will need to purchase the VM migration and GLO will rehost the licenses from your appliance to the VM.
In either case, I recommend you contact your Cisco Account Team they can help you figure out all the requirements and steps needed for whichever one you want to do.

MIKE ZINNER
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks.  I thought that too, my S.E. was apparently mis-informed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: