cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Search rule to account for multiple IP Addresses

rfrome
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to specify multiple IP addresses in a search rule? Basically, I want to have a search rule be able to reach any CUCM server in a cluster, without having to recreate the search rule X number of times for each subscriber.

thx

rf

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi rf,

check out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_Deployment_Guide_CUCM_8_9_and_X7-2.pdf

Regards this especially check out Appendix 4 (page 40, ...)

you can set up cucm (needs to support domains) using a neigbor zone, so you

can add the ips of the cluster in the zone and point the search rule to it.

The search rule itself can only match on a pattern but not fork the call do different destinations incl. an address change

(if I understood you right here).

I had made a feature request some time ago to clone searchrules and other parts of the config,

via the webinterface, that could be handy to help you generating multiple quite similar search rules.

The best way to do this for now is to use the cli, dump your working rule, modify it, and add a new

rule with the additinal content.

Please rate the postings and set the thread to resolved if it is.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

Hi, if you configure the Enterprise Parameter Clusterwide domain, you could also use this domain in your search rule. So if you have example.com on your vcs, you could use example.local on the cucm.

If implemented this numerous times and it works fine. This helps you keeping your call rules simple.

Regards, Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi rf,

check out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_Deployment_Guide_CUCM_8_9_and_X7-2.pdf

Regards this especially check out Appendix 4 (page 40, ...)

you can set up cucm (needs to support domains) using a neigbor zone, so you

can add the ips of the cluster in the zone and point the search rule to it.

The search rule itself can only match on a pattern but not fork the call do different destinations incl. an address change

(if I understood you right here).

I had made a feature request some time ago to clone searchrules and other parts of the config,

via the webinterface, that could be handy to help you generating multiple quite similar search rules.

The best way to do this for now is to use the cli, dump your working rule, modify it, and add a new

rule with the additinal content.

Please rate the postings and set the thread to resolved if it is.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Martin,

Thanks for the reply. Allow me to provide additional details.

The current search rule that allows Internet based endpoints to get to CUCM registered video devices is

(34.+)@domain.com

replace

\1@CUCM Subscriber IP Address

The neighbor zone has both CUCM servers in the cluster.

Are you saying that even though the search rule specifies a single subscriber address, that the call will route to any available server in the cluster based upon the zone configuration?

thx,

rf

Hi,

Since you are using CUCM cluster then it would be better to route  the calls to the CUCM cluster FQDN instead of specifying IP address of any of the CUCM nodes.

Please refer to the link that Martin has posted in his previous message.

Regards//Andrey

Thanks for the replies. Since using DNS is not an option with this customer, I guess I'll duplicate the search rules for each node in the cluster.

Hi, if you configure the Enterprise Parameter Clusterwide domain, you could also use this domain in your search rule. So if you have example.com on your vcs, you could use example.local on the cucm.

If implemented this numerous times and it works fine. This helps you keeping your call rules simple.

Regards, Paul