Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Starter Pack - Movi/Jabber registration issue

Robert McAffery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I am currently deploying of a VCS Starter Pack and I have to configure provisioning for jabber.  I am having an issue registering external users or internal users - I can only register one type of user.  This has to do with the VCS Cluster name.  I am using the internal IP address of the VCS Starter Pack but when I do this I cant register any External jabber users.  When I use the External IP address as the Cluster name, I can register the External jabber users ok but I cant register any of the internal users. 

How can I get round this issue?  I think it has to do with the FQDN of the VCS Starter Pack but how can I register internal and external users with using an IP address or an FQDN? Reverse proxy maybe?

Thanks,

Robert

3 Replies 3

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all, do you have the dual interface option? If not thats a main requirement for a dual ip or NAT setup.

Also what you are trying to do would require to use two interfaces.

If you have NAT with one interface, communication towards the vcs has always to be done to its external IP.

A real internal external differentiation is if I see it right only possible with the real VCS C/E setup.

So what shoud work is either to place the VCS-E in a DMZ (with (or without NAT)) and only connect to

the configured (or NATed IP) from the inside and outside or use the dual interface option and use a split

DNS so your hostname will resolve externally to the external IP and the internal one to the internal IP.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I do have the Dual interface option.  LAN 1 is internal and LAN 2 is external public address (not NAT's). I have setup static routes and calls to/from the Internet work ok.  I think you are correct that I need split DNS.  I am not very familiar with DNS and split DNS.  Do you know how I do this for what I need to setup? 

If my FQDN of the VCS Starter Pack is VCS-SP.domain.com.  From inside my LAN that needs to resolve to the internal IP address 10.x.x.x and from the Internet that needs to resolve to the public IP 202.x x x  - Is that correct?

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

that's correct. it should resolve to different ip's from internal lan and outside lan. So when laptop on public domain queries for your vcs fqdn it should resolve to public ip and from internal network it should resolve to the private ip of the vcs.

for internal network users or public users you can do a workaround like modifying the host file on the machine and putting an entry of vcs fqdn against public/private ip-address for respective client. this way the fqdn will get resolved to right ip-address and movi/jabber will register.

however above mentioned would be a temporary fix and right approach would be to use split dns.

Regards

Alok