cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS to CUCM calling outbound to the PSTN

sketterman
Level 1
Level 1

I have our CUCM (6.1) server connected to our VCS 6.x implementation trough a sip trunk.  I can dial any VCS registered end point from devices registered to CUCM and vice versa.  I have a DID configured to route our MCU 4510 that is registered to VCS as well.

What I am trying to do it configure a way to dial out to the PSTN from VCS registered devices. 

I have a router configured on the VCS so when it sees any 10-digit-number@my.video.domian it replaces "my.video.domain" with the IP of the CUCM server and routers it over the sip trunk.

Eveything routes OK, but when the CUCM receives the call it responds with a 404 message.  I believe this is because the TO header arriving at CUCM is addressed to "10-Digit-Number@my.video.domain" instead of "10-Digit-Number@IP.Address.Of.CUCM"

I have a similar setup with a SIP trunk between Lync and CUCM and calls work OK.  The only difference I see is Lync uses the IP address of CUCM in the header instead of the domain name.

23 Replies 23

The CSS is set to an unrestricted CSS so it has access to the PSTN.

Oliver

sketterman
Level 1
Level 1

Have you done a debug on the cucm to see how cucm sees the call and tries to route it?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Looks like a similar problem in previous posts as all the CDRs show a null in the Calling number field.

The call isn't getting as far as the voice gateway from what I can tell.

Oliver

My issue was a little different as my SIP ISP requires a known caller ID from the calling party, so my call was making it to the gateway but the ISP was throwing the 404.

If you want to change the caller ID, I did a transform on my gateway to add a default caller ID to outbound calling parties that did not have one.

voice translation-rule 160

rule 1 /^$/ /5035551212/ <----------NUMBER TO USE AS CALLER ID

voice translation-profile NULL_CALLING_PARTY

translate calling 160

I then applied the translation-profile in the incoming direction to a dial-peer that will match the inbound call leg from CUCM.

I still would verify the call is being routed out of CUCM before focusing on the gateway.

Looking at the CDRs there is no destination IP address. Although it can see the called number, it does not know where to route it for some reason.

I cannot get a caller ID to show on internal calls to a registered CUCM device but it does know how to route the call.

Scratching my head on this one. Think it might be a SIP trunk setting somewhere.

Oliver

How are you calling the numbers from the C20?  are you dialing @IP_OF_CUCM

Hi oliver,

First check is obviously that ip-phones on cucm should be able to dial out to PSTN.

sencond check the incoming CSS assigned to SIP trunk should be able to access the partition for route pattern assigned to PSTN dialing

third from VCS you should dial number@ and you should have necessary search rules to pass the call to CUCM

fourth the calls from VCS to CUCM ip-phones should connect properly

also check what the call search on VCS shows? is it matching to proper search rules? is it showing anything error on their.

Thanks

Alok

Hi all,

I've now tested this out on our system and it works well. However, the call seems to route out to the VCS expressway, then back to the CUCM trunk on the VCS control. If I disable the traversal search rules then the call fails. Its as if it doesn't see the option to route directly to CUCM unless its been routed via the traversal zone (Expressway).

Calls to extensions registered to CUCM do not route via the expressway as I have test by disabling these search rules. Perhaps I need a more specific search rule - currently (9.*)@xxx.com translate to \1@

Thanks

Oli

Hi Oliver,

Yes, this certainly seems to be a issue with your search rules. There could be a possibility that the call request REGEX matched to calls that are routed to expressway as the priority for the search rules towards expressway is low (which means it matched first) and its routed towards traversal zone.

However after disabling the search rule to traversal, call to CUCM stops working sounds interesting. B,coz after disabling the search rule to traversal zone the call setup should be matched to the next pirority search rule towards CUCM zone.

From this it sounds as if traversal server (i.e. vcs-expressway) is doing something more apart from the just hairpining the call back to vcs-control.

Thanks

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: