Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Upgrade 6.0 to 6.1 release key invalid

Hello All,

I am attempting to upgrade a VCS control from 6.0 to 6.1 but each time about halfway through the process I receive the message "release key invalid" and the process stops.  I have tried leaving the release key field blank at the start of the upgrade process and I have tried entering the current release key.  Both attempts yeild the same results.  I was under the impression that a new release key is not need for minor releases.  In fact, next to the entry field it says that one is not needed for dot releases.  Has this changed or am I missing something?                    

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chad Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi William,

Could you provide me with the SN of the VCS?

You are correct that you shouldn't need a release key for an upgrade to 6.0 to 6.1. Sometimes it is confusing on which VCS release to download from the Cisco site. There are two versions. AES (Encrypted) and non-AES (Non-encrypted).

Most customers will need to download the package s42700x6_1_0.tar.gz. (AES)

Check to see if you have downloaded s42701x6_1_0.tar.gz. (non-AES)

Thanks,

Chad

View solution in original post

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi!

Yes, like Chad said the it is crucial to download the right software version, it has to fit the release key

which has to fir the serial number of the system. The 0 / 1 shows which version it is, and yes, thats

sometimes overseen.

s42700x6_1_0.tar.gz

s42701x6_1_0.tar.gz

s42700x6_1_0.tar.gz

Please always check the release notes!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/release_note/Cisco_VCS_Release_Note_X6-1.pdf

It should not be required to fill out the release key if you stick within the same major version

(like X6.0 to X6.1, but X6 to X7 or X7 to X6 you would need a new release key!)

Besides that, please download the files from cisco.com, if you click on the file you can also

check the MD5 Checksum, and then please check your downloaded file if this also has the same checksum.

Also check that the upload of the file works fine. Indoubt you can also use SCP to copy the file over,

check the admin guide on how to do that!

Its also handy to be logged into the vcs via ssh or the console as it will show you some debugging output during the

upgrade.

Btw, is there a reason you upgrade to X6.1, be aware that there might be bugs solved in later versions present,

new features in newer version, ...

In addition there is a security advisory:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/csa/cisco-sa-20120229-vcs.html

I would recomend X7.2.1 or at least X7.1

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chad Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi William,

Could you provide me with the SN of the VCS?

You are correct that you shouldn't need a release key for an upgrade to 6.0 to 6.1. Sometimes it is confusing on which VCS release to download from the Cisco site. There are two versions. AES (Encrypted) and non-AES (Non-encrypted).

Most customers will need to download the package s42700x6_1_0.tar.gz. (AES)

Check to see if you have downloaded s42701x6_1_0.tar.gz. (non-AES)

Thanks,

Chad

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi!

Yes, like Chad said the it is crucial to download the right software version, it has to fit the release key

which has to fir the serial number of the system. The 0 / 1 shows which version it is, and yes, thats

sometimes overseen.

s42700x6_1_0.tar.gz

s42701x6_1_0.tar.gz

s42700x6_1_0.tar.gz

Please always check the release notes!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/release_note/Cisco_VCS_Release_Note_X6-1.pdf

It should not be required to fill out the release key if you stick within the same major version

(like X6.0 to X6.1, but X6 to X7 or X7 to X6 you would need a new release key!)

Besides that, please download the files from cisco.com, if you click on the file you can also

check the MD5 Checksum, and then please check your downloaded file if this also has the same checksum.

Also check that the upload of the file works fine. Indoubt you can also use SCP to copy the file over,

check the admin guide on how to do that!

Its also handy to be logged into the vcs via ssh or the console as it will show you some debugging output during the

upgrade.

Btw, is there a reason you upgrade to X6.1, be aware that there might be bugs solved in later versions present,

new features in newer version, ...

In addition there is a security advisory:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/csa/cisco-sa-20120229-vcs.html

I would recomend X7.2.1 or at least X7.1

Thanks for the replies. I did indeed have the wrong version. I downloaded the appropriate one and it installed properly. Thanks again.

Hei William!

Great to hear that you fixed it.

Thanky you for the feedback +5 for you on that.

Could you please rate the answers using the stars below and mark the thread as answered!

(you have to be logged in for that)

Martin

PS: What is the reason that you do not upgrade to X7.2.1?

Hello Martin,

about your PS, we will need a new release key to upgrade to X7.2.1, rigth?

Or it's possible to upgrade directly from version x6.1 without new release key?

Paulo Ferreira

mayank.sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You will need a release key to upgrade from 6.x to 7.x which is available if u have a valid service contract.

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App