Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Upgrade causes error of needing more Media Ports

David Kos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

We have completed a recent VCS upgrade from X7.2.4 to X8.5.1 and are seeing error asking to increase the range of media ports.  We are currently using the default port range: 50000 to 54999 as mentioned in Cisco's deployment guide and get the error message.  We have to increase it by another 10,000 ports for the error to go away.  The VCSE has 40 traversal licenses and we are wondering if this is forcing the issue of needing so many media ports? Any light that can be shed on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

2 Replies 2

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There was a change in amount of ports used between X7.2 and X8.x, it's in the VCS X8.1 Release Notes.  I've done the same upgrade several times over, however I haven't received the error and my range is still the old default.

Why your VCS is asking for an increased range of media ports, I don't know, it could very well be the number of traversal licenses you have, and there isn't enough media ports to support all 40.

Also suggest you take a look at the port reference in the release notes to see all port changes that were introduced in X8.1.

Jonathan Robb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

Take a look at the online help for the traversal subzone it has a pretty good write up of the media port usage.

https://<VCS ip Address>/inc/help/en_US.utf8/VCS_help.htm#cshid=traversalsubzone

It should be 48 ports per possible Traversal call, based on the number of actual traversal licenses on the VCS - having one less than required will now throw the error. Although that doesn't explain your specific issue as you should only need to configure a range allowing 1920 ports with 40 traversal licenses. 

A few things, can you post a screen shot of the error and do you have this VCS-E in a cluster?

-Jonathan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: