cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Advantage vs Polycom PVX

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Anybody know when and if Video Advantage 2.0 (PC video) will support H264?

I am setting up a Polycom MCU based system, and am considering these 2 PC options:

1. Polycom PVX with Web Office, which does do H264, but does not have the IP phone integration for audio, requiring messing with PC headsets, or a separate phone call for the audio.

2. Video Advantage which will require more bandwidth, and the Web Office will have to be launched separately from the video call for web conferencing. This should integrate fine into with Polycom VSX7000 conference rooms, but with the PVX there would be no doubts. H264 might tip the scales this way.

Anybody have experience with both PVX and Video Advantage in a Call Manager 4.1 environment?

3 Replies 3

mmelbourne
Level 5
Level 5

Cisco CVTA 2.0 will only support H.263 and the proprietary wideband codec. However, the PVX will support H.263 and I have had VTAs connecting to PVX endpoints (even through an IP-IP Gateway).

PVX devices are H.323 only, so will be required to either register with a gatekeeper or be defined in CCM 4.1 directly as H.323 clients. The gatekeeper option is more flexible as the PVX endpoints can have dynamic IP addresses, and the integration into CallManager is through an gatekeeper-controlled H.225 trunk between CallManager and the gatekeeper. The gatekeeper can also provide call admission control, if required.

CVTA will obviously provide a unified dial plan but will require an additional application for any data collaboration.

Hi,

I just bought half a dozen Cisco VT Advantage

USB camera's for a test lab, and am having trouble finding the

CVTA 2.0 Software. It doesnt appear to be on the cisco download site.

Would you be able to let me know where it is available?

Regards

Miron du Plessis

Please forgive me for asking but can't the Cisco vT Advantage USB cameras plug into a usb port on the 3500 series units?? I'm kinda lost...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: